New sump plan!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armyman16

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so, I have been on this forum asking for people's advice(thanks again J33p!) and I have decided to turn my sump into a refugium
But before I do anything I wanna hear everyone's input and what worked best for them!
Should I have sand? Should I have live rock with the chaeto? Are mangroves necessary? What about starfish?
I'm sorry I asking so many questions but after spending hundreds of dollars on my 75 gallon I want to make sure I had everything perfect...here's the sump I had setup now
I want to turn the middle chamber into a refugium

Say go for it... Will work out better. Will need a light down there.

Kio707 said:
Say go for it... Will work out better. Will need a light down there.

Yeah I have a few questions that's why I made this thread, how nice of a light will I need?
I have heard just a cheap light from home depot or Walmart would be fine for just chaeto

armyman16 said:
Yeah I have a few questions that's why I made this thread, how nice of a light will I need?
I have heard just a cheap light from home depot or Walmart would be fine for just chaeto

Yep, what I use. Just a clip on power compact.

Ok, and will I need a sand bed? Where do I put all this stuff, I mean what needs to be under it? Or should I just place it on the set bottom of the middle chamber?

armyman16 said:
Ok, and will I need a sand bed? Where do I put all this stuff, I mean what needs to be under it? Or should I just place it on the set bottom of the middle chamber?

Place the sand bed on the bottom, clip light as close to side as u can and macro algae in sand bed.

Okay but I have a sponge between the second and third chamber, will the sand not drift through the sponge? Can I see a picture of yours?

This is pretty easy. You don't need to have a sandbed in your fuge if you have enough in your DT. Same as LR. I keep my LR rubble in my fuge incase I need to secure a coral to something. Even the sponge isn't truely needed as long as you have a bubble trap in between the fuge and return section. I just got done making my own sump, should be ready to go today when I get off work since I had a couple leaks in my silicon. The thread should be around somewhere, but looking at my drawing might be able to help you out some.

Can you send us a pic of your drawing or give us the thread name so we can see it? My birthday is coming up so I'm trying to figure out what I'll need to convert this into a refugium so I can ask my parents for it haha

An how can I take care of this problem?
I want to get a sand Bed bottom in the second chamber with the chaeto but there is a spongy thing between second and third chamber so won't the sand be blocking the movement from second to third chamber?

Wanted to give u an idea of my sump. U can use the bottom chamber, put sand and macro in it. Don't worry on out the mesh, just extra filtration.

Last edited:
Kio707 said:
Wanted to give u an idea of my sump. U can use the bottom chamber, put sand and macro in it. Don't worry on out the mesh, just extra filtration.

Okay, another problem I ran into us where to put all the sand?
I have that sponge on the bottom so sand would either bloc water from flowing through or the sand would sift through

Remove the egg crate holding the bio balls and that sponge on the bottom. Water will flow down, feed the macro and continue on. U cold even put the egg crate higher and place rubble on top of it, creating another filtration...

Kio707 said:
Remove the egg crate holding the bio balls and that sponge on the bottom. Water will flow down, feed the macro and continue on. U cold even put the egg crate higher and place rubble on top of it, creating another filtration...

Okay, well how could I keep the sand from flowing over to the next chamber? And isn't the sponge an added source if mechanical filtration which would be even better?
Will I need to keep the sump completely full from now on as well?
I keep the second and third chambers half full so that half the bio-balls are exposed and half are underwater

I cant really see how the water flows through the sump but from what I see I would forego the sand and use live rock rubble. Those bioballs collect a lot of gunk and generate Nitrates. You would need to take them out regularly and clean them to keep the 'trates under control. You are correct that the sponge filter with sand on it would slow down the flow of water and some would probably sift through until the sponge became clogged. Sand needs to be on the bottom if you use it.

You might consider that a protein skimmer would help with cleaning the water as well. Mangroves work well, but they can grow quickly and I really cant see how you could use them with this type of sump. I would stick with chaeto or some other type of macroalgae and use a plant bulb for lighting. A filter sock over the input to the sump would catch the majority of the solids from the tank. You just have to clean it occasionally.

You can keep a cleanup crew in with the live rock to help keep the detritus to a minimum. A couple of cleaner shrimp or crabs would be fine. I wouldnt put a starfish in the sump. You can, of course, assuming they can get enough to eat but I would rather see those in the DT.

When filling your sump I would advise that you only fill it to the level where the DT would siphon if you lost power. What I mean is that if your power goes out and the pump stops running, some water will siphon back to the sump plus probably some of the water in the overflow as well. What I did was fill my tank until water started flowing into the sump then, with everything off, fill the sump leaving about 1 inch from the top. Then I turned on the pump and marked where the water level stabilized. That became my max fill line. Then I started taking out water until the pump started sucking air. I put enough back in to raise it 1 inch and marked that as my minimum fill line. (A good auto top-off system will keep the water level where you want it.)

This way if I were to lose power I dont end up with soaked carpets. You can put anti-siphon valves in the water lines but I wouldnt depend on them since they can fail from things in the water that could cause the ball to be stuck open. They could corrode or have some piece of detritus jam it open. You would never know about it until something bad happened.

Another option to add a 'fuge would be to change your sump to one like Kio shows in his pics. All you need is a regular tank, get some baffles made from plexiglass or glass and build it to what you want. Just be sure to do your research if you want to put in a protein skimmer so it will have adequate room to function. There are plenty of videos online showing how to build one.

Keep us advised on your progress.

Back
Top Bottom