New sw tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dbrown4u

Aquarium Advice Freak
I don't really know anything about the upkeep of a sw aquarium, just looking for some help from people with experience, the only thing I know is my friend told me to keep the salinity between 30 and 34, I think it's a 15g tank and I have:
2 baby clownfish
1 baby blue tang
1 mandarin dragonet
2 purple tip anemones
about 4 lbs of Fiji live rock
1 feather duster
5 hermit crabs
A small purple shrimp
12" 8 watt pinkish perfect-a-lamp
And black live aragonite reef sand

I'd really like to get a blue t5 light or LEDs so I can get some frogspawn coral but it's they're a little out of my price range and hard to find 12" lights anywhere

Give away the mandarin and the blue tang. The blue tang will definitely be stressed because they need a lot of swimming room. They also get to be a foot or longer. The mandarin needs a special diet of copepods which cannot be supplied by a 15g aquarium. It will most likely die of starvation.

Oh, and the anemones too. Your lights are extremely insufficient and they will bleach and die and kill everything in the tank.

Oh, that sucks, but the mandarin seems to be doing really well, he's been in the tank for about a month and he's really lively, but the tang is about the size of a nickel, will it be alright for a while, at least until I get a bigger tank? I'm planning on getting around a 30-50g within a year, and I'm trying to find better lights, just need to find the right price, do you know any websites with good prices?

Dbrown4u said:
Oh, that sucks, but the mandarin seems to be doing really well, he's been in the tank for about a month and he's really lively, but the tang is about the size of a nickel, will it be alright for a while, at least until I get a bigger tank? I'm planning on getting around a 30-50g within a year, and I'm trying to find better lights, just need to find the right price, do you know any websites with good prices?

The tang definitely cannot stay because they grow huge! They need about 180g tank when fully grown, which takes a few months. I have one in my 75g that is about an inch and I know that he cannot stay forever, unfortunately. The mandarin, however, could probably stay. What are you feeding it?oh and I bought my t5 light fixture on eBay. It was $325 with shipping but it's well worth it. You can find cheaper ones too though.

I've been feeding it brine shrimp and I guess that's sufficient and I'll just keep checking eBay cause I'm looking to spend under $100 and the light that's in there now is only 12" so hopefully I'll be able to find something

I don't think you should be adding anymore fish you already have it overstocked ad anything else will probably start giving you more stress of keeping the tanks conditions right.

Yea, the only other thing I might get is a few more hermit crabs until I get another tank, I just got a little excited when I got it, so I just wanted to buy what I wanted that I could afford haha

Back
Top Bottom