New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulm7373

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, am curious to know what people think of how my tank looks. It's an Aquareef 195 made by Aqua One and is 200 litres (about 55g) with sump, 4 x T5 lighting and protein skimmer. Just cycling my tank at the moment and there is 30kg (about 66lb) of live rock in there.

Attachments

• image-342761275.jpg
    image-342761275.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 295
  • image-371460822.jpg
    image-371460822.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 157
  • image-3868805793.jpg
    image-3868805793.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 141
  • image-1001584673.jpg
    image-1001584673.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 143
  • image-2311301281.jpg
    image-2311301281.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 132
  • image-2290653098.jpg
    image-2290653098.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 156
  • image-2066523781.jpg
    image-2066523781.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 147
I think it looks nice. And I like that you have different colors and types of rock. And you made sure to make some hiding places for the fish. All in all, you did well! :)

Looks good (y). Are those SPS corals or decorations?...Just surprised you would have actual hard corals while it's cycling.

Thanks. No I don't have any corals at all, it's just all pure live rock only. I would not introduce corals until probably a few months later. Want to make sure I have success with the fish first :) I really like your tank and your fish. What is the name of that orange one with blue streaks? It's a beauty!

Indeed that is some nice looking rock. I like how you got it fairly tightly packed in front as well. I arranged mine like that and it was quite a challenge to figure out how to get everything to fit together.

Thanks. No I don't have any corals at all, it's just all pure live rock only. I would not introduce corals until probably a few months later. Want to make sure I have success with the fish first :) I really like your tank and your fish. What is the name of that orange one with blue streaks? It's a beauty!

Oh well the rock looks great. Thanks :). It's a McCosker's Wrasse. He was doing fine for 2 weeks then I added a cleaner wrasse and a little while later he disappeared. It was strange b/c for days he would swim with the cleaner wrasse. I'll probably get another one in the future as they add a lot of color!

donker said:
Indeed that is some nice looking rock. I like how you got it fairly tightly packed in front as well. I arranged mine like that and it was quite a challenge to figure out how to get everything to fit together.

Thanks! Yeah it's kinda like putting a jigsaw puzzle together but much more harder and physical when you're climbing up and down a step ladder several times holding heavy rocks with one hand and delicately stacking them as tall as possible without causing a mini avalanche! Lol but it's all worth it when it all comes together and you take a step back to look at the finished product! :)

obscurereef said:
Oh well the rock looks great. Thanks :). It's a McCosker's Wrasse. He was doing fine for 2 weeks then I added a cleaner wrasse and a little while later he disappeared. It was strange b/c for days he would swim with the cleaner wrasse. I'll probably get another one in the future as they add a lot of color!

That's such a shame for the McCosker's wrasse to just vanish like that :( such a beautiful looking fish and I love the colours in them, I would definitely consider having one of them in my tank and I could probably only keep up to half a dozen fish only. Are wrasse fish aggressive or do they get on well with other fish?

That's such a shame for the McCosker's wrasse to just vanish like that :( such a beautiful looking fish and I love the colours in them, I would definitely consider having one of them in my tank and I could probably only keep up to half a dozen fish only. Are wrasse fish aggressive or do they get on well with other fish?

That depends on the type of wrasse. Some are listed as semi-aggressive and some are peaceful. And even after that, each fish is individual and may not conform to the usual behavior. I had a carpenters wrasse- gorgeous fish- but it jumped last week. :(

Beengirl said:
That depends on the type of wrasse. Some are listed as semi-aggressive and some are peaceful. And even after that, each fish is individual and may not conform to the usual behavior. I had a carpenters wrasse- gorgeous fish- but it jumped last week. :(

Thanks for that info and sorry to hear about yours jumping :( I have lids on my tank so thankfully I won't have that problem!

Sorry that your wrasse jumped Beengirl.

Elaborating on what Beengirl said, some wrasses, like the Melanurus wrasse or Christmas wrasse are classified as reef safe(bluezoo). LA says "with caution" in a reef b/c they can eat pyramidellid snails, types of worms, and feather dusters. I did further research b/c I really wanted one and found out that a youtuber had one in his reef and it ate all his cerith snails and was picking on other fish even though it's "peaceful". Another example is that dwarf angels and foxface fish might have an appetite for corals, but it depends on the individual fish. I've heard many cases of the dwarf angels eating corals, but not the foxface.

Back
Top Bottom