New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AwesomeDartfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have bought my first saltwater tank 5 days ago, I got a 29 gallon coralife biocube with 20 lb of sand(Not live sand) and about 20 pounds of live rock. When I got my live rock the next day the man at my LFS said I would need a fish to help seed the tank and said I can have a yellow tailed damsel. I also got something called start up which says it starts the cycle. I also bought a test kit and my results are ph 8.4 ammonia 0 nitrate 0 nitrite 0. With my freshwater tank it took a lot longer before I got results like this. What does it mean that i am getting results like a cycled tank would give. Also I think I have a pest anemone from the live rock I got and I don't know what to do. It looks like I have aiptasia, I have read that peppermint shrimp eat it but I dont think I should get shrimp in my tank yet. What do you think I should do and if you think I am doing something wrong please tell me,:thanks:

Hello. Congratz on your tank. I hate to break it to you, but the damsel was a bad idea. I would return it when the cycle is over because it will become extremely aggressive. They cycle is gonna start soon, you will notice an ammonia spike. When it goes down, there will be a nitrite spike. After that, then nitrate will spike. Then you can add more fish. Dont worry about the damsel, we all make mistakes when we are begginners. Keep in mind with a nano tank (30 gallons and below) thing can go bad quick, so keep up the testing. I would do a 20% water change to speed up the cycle. Chemicals will speed it up as well. Your setup looks good, any other questions let me know!

Thanks I will see if I can return the damsel to my LFS, what should I do about my aiptasia problem. I have read that it can get bad fast, also I have a brownish looking thin layer of something on my live rock, what is that. Thanks for the advice about the damsel I will see what I can do about that. Also should I get some more live rock tomorrow like about 5 pounds more or would that be rushing it, if I am rushing my tank just tell me because I do that (I am really excited about have a saltwater tank again because my dad had a 72 gallon about 6 years ago)

Aiptasia is a straight forward plan. Use a syringe to shoot boiling water/lemon juice into its mouth. Products like aiptasia-x and joes juice also work well.
In terms of your cycle, the live rock came in with beneficial bacteria that quickened the cycle, though I would want to see nitrates in your readings unless you are seeing algae or cyano growth that is consuming it. As it stands, you probably have the bacteria level to support atleast one fish. Having no ammonia readings for 24 hours will prove that. I would wait a day and test again just to be safe.

OK tomorrow I am going to my LFS tomorrow and get something to help with the aiptasia. Should I get more live rock or wait till I have dealt with the aiptasia problem. Also when should I get a clean up crew to help clean the tank. I will post my results on my tank tomorrow thanks for all the help.

Try to solve the aiptasia issue first. You don't want it to spread to the new rock too...or come with more and become overwhelming.
You can get a clean up crew to help keep glass and rocks clean, just remember they don't remove the nutrients, just move it.

I don't really know what to get so what would you recommend for me to get? I won't get anymore live rock and I'll also get some liquid for the aiptasia.

I would try to get pacific live rock, because im in california, so thats all we have. I have never had aptaisa problems before. I read up that there is lots of aptaisa in carribean LR. I would see what the lfs says, but keep us updated!

OK so this is the 6th day my tank has been running it has 20 lb of live rock and one yellow tailed damsel. My test results are the same as yesterday.

My damsel just died, he had been hiding for the whole time and I could tell yesterday he was not doing good. He was kind of white like his scales were white.

...or he'll spread disease. If your parameters are what you say they are for ammonia and nitrite 0 then i would be wondering why its died! If you want an ammonia source buy pure ammonia its cheap.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom