New Tank 30" tall light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DTack2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new tank, it has been many years since I have had a saltwater tank. like 20 years. there were none of the LED and T5 lights back then. what would you all recommend for a 36x30x18 that I may or may not down the road turn into a reef tank? it is acrylic and has a blue acrylic back.

2 of the 120 watt dimmable led lights on eBay will work for reef on your size tank.

ok there are about 20 different types that are LED and 120w.... ... whites with blue, and blue, with red,green,white, and a bunch of others.... what would be better? Wow there are a bunch of different lights.......

another question, do all the new lights leave your tank looking blue?

ok there are about 20 different types that are LED and 120w.... ... whites with blue, and blue, with red,green,white, and a bunch of others.... what would be better? Wow there are a bunch of different lights.......
Yes there are a large variety. You just need the blue and white panels. Recommend the 30blue/25white panels over the 28/27.

another question, do all the new lights leave your tank looking blue?

Not to me. The blue and white panels have the blue and white channels on different dimmers so you can adjust the blue/white ratio to fit your tastes.

The tank is 30" high and 18 wide.

With just 1 fixture I'd think 120 deg will give better coverage. But if your going with 2 fixtures, I'd agree with the benifits of 90 deg.

The lights i listed will cover a 30x30 area the ends of the tank will be a bit dimmer but it works out well for lower light corals like mushrooms

My tank the top is not open though, will these lights still work? It has acrylic top with cut outs.

hopefully this is the last question for a bit. how many GPH each should my power heads push for an 85 Gal tank?

That will depend on what you plan on keeping 20-50x tank volume is the rule of thumb 20 being a FOWLR 50 being a SPS tank If you run two 1500 gph power heads you'll be about the middle with about 35x

Back
Top Bottom