New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fischerbratton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I edited my post to make things a bit less broad.. Basically I want to start a new reef aquarium.. I have a 100gal Cichlid tank but I want something more challenging (probably gonna get rid of Cichlid tank once reef tank is started) I was looking at some rimless tanks and I definitely want one. Not sure what kind or size yet.. I do know I want some clowns.. And probably a goby and pistol shrimp.. Also would like some other fish in as well but not quite sure what.. As well as some soft coral.. What would you guys suggest I get.. (what kind of tank and size, sump or no sump?, lights? Ect.. Thanks in advance and sorry for the broad post last time..

thats really broad, do you want FOWLR, or tank with corals. do you know what lights you want? look into the 3 watt leds on ebay. I think there like 120$ per panel, any ideas on what you want for stocking?

And that's kind of my question.. What would you prefer for lights and everything.. I'm thinking mostly soft coral

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tank size is really up to you. Bigger is better due to more water, which keeps things more stable. I would go with a sump for anything over 30g, but you could use one on a smaller tank (again, adds to total amount of water, which is good). The other fish you want will play into the size decision too. What are you considering beyond clowns?

For lights, I'm a fan of the LEDs sold on eBay (TAO knockoffs) for about $125. Each will cover about 2' and work fine for corals.

Put money into the budget for an RODI water unit, as it will save lots of money over buying from an LFS.

Beyond the "going bigger" for more water, you will also want to consider the addictive nature of this hobby. Your smaller tank will very likely become larger as you fill it up with fish and/or corals. My 75g lasted about a year before it needed to be a 240g (with an additional 60g cube in the bedroom). :). Buying larger puts the upgrade further down the road.

Yeah I was thinking a 75 gal with 55 gal sump? Do you think a 75 gal would be ok for a pair of clowns and a goby and pistol shrimp? And what other fish do you think I could add? Maybe a 6 line wrasse? With a couple coral for now? I'll probably upgrade later.. I know it'll go from wanting this to wanting a 360+ gal sometime down the road lol

A 75g would be fine for clowns. You could add some Tangs (Kole, Tomini), but not most others. There are some reef safe wrasses that would work...some Anthias...there are lots of Gobies...75g will limit you somewhat with some fish, but is a great starting point, IMO, that leaves room to grow.

Back
Top Bottom