New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do your tests look like? Nitrate and phosphate? How long are your lights on for? How much are you feeding? Have your parameters been fluctuating at all?

I know you said parameters held steady for about a week before you added anything but curious if you kept testing? Your tank being new is going to go through a bunch of changes even after the cycle. You'll get different blooms of things. And I think they are considered milestones more then problems? But they could definitely get bad if you let them.

Best thing to do is keep a close eye on everything and try not to over feed or have the lights on too long and maintain good water change schedules. When I do water changes I like to go in and scrape/brush all the algae I don't like off of everything. Pumps off and all of that..then siphon everything out. Manual removal on top of everything else is important.

Your zoas could be closed for a variety of reasons. Sense they are still new to the tank they could just be adjusting. I've had zoas take weeks to open while others open during acclimation.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tests all look pretty good other then nitrates creeping up to 10.yeah i keep testing, at least every other day. All the blue and greens are out and looking good, although i did raise the lights about 4'' yest could that have something to do with it. And yeah thats cool i dont mind cleaning out by hand, i only did the glass and syphon on fri so will do another change fri and give a good scrub, wasnt sure if there were any little tips really. Im going to change 50 litres do you think thats enough?
Feeding i give one flake a day roughly the size of a pound coin.
Cheers for the quick response tho mate

Sent from my Vodafone Smart Tab 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It theoretically could have something to do with it but I'm really not sure. I'm still leaning toward it being so new in the tank that it's just not settled in yet. Any change from what it's used to can cause it to close up. I thought the post you said you added it to the tank was only a couple days ago. As long as the Zoa isn't slowly melting away it's still ok.

And sense your readings are good I'd say whatever % 50 liters is of your total tank volume is working out well.

Yeah i added it sat but prob 50% of the red ones were open when i got bk from work today they were all closed. Doesnt look to be melting away so will keep my eye on it. Cheers bro

Sent from my Vodafone Smart Tab 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did you dip them at all?

Another thing to consider is a pest on them..

I floated the bag for about 15-20 mins then added the tank water slowly over another 35-40 mins then removed from the bag and placed in the tank. When the light went blue last night you could see all the tips of it were red and few looked like they wanted to open up.
Not that i have noticed,altough i did see my cleaner shrimp attacking some worn like thing,but they were not near the zoas

Sorry,worm like thing

That sounds good and like you did everything ok but a dip is done with a product like Coral RX (my example cause I use it).

It's basically a mix of natural ingredients that promotes overall coral health while helping to eliminate a wide range of pests that may be irritating/killing corals. I'd say most of us dip our corals before putting them in our tanks because it reduces the risk of bringing in pests that can spread and destroy our corals. Sometimes these pests can be enough to wipe out tanks and even if you bought corals from the nicest coral shop on the planet it most likely still has something on it or that was in the tank with it.

Very close inspection of all your corals is a must to avoid any problems with pests. Sometimes they are close to impossible to see because they blend in so well. I think this is another huge thing to consider for your corals right now...BUT definitely something to make routine for any new additions. Check out some stuff on YouTube about it and you'll find many different methods.

Ok mate nice one. Will do that and thanks again for all your help and advice,very much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom