New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biff82

Aquarium Advice Regular
Any help greatly recieved!!!
Set up a new tank sunday,first time with saltwater.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452885383.276316.jpg
Looks good but has very high ammonia,how do i get it down.
Size 39"l x 15"d x 18"h
20kg live rock
20kg classica marine aragonite sand
Jebao wavemaker rw8
Fluval e200 heater which is set at 28?
Any help would be great,as much as i want to stock this tank i want it just right before i do. So with you guys experience hopfully i can do this the best way possible
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well it looks to be dropping anyway.
Yesterday test strips said 3 and today says 1
Liquid test has gone from off the chart to yesterday reading at 4 and today reading 2.
Was thinking of doing a 15% waterchange later.???

It sounds like the tank isn't cycled. A cycled tank will not present ammonia or nitrite readings. To cycle a tank, you need to present an ammonia source. Over time, a bacteria base builds to consume the ammonia and then creates nitrites. Bacteria then builds up to consume the nitrites and then create nitrates. We then physically remove the nitrates ourselves by water changes to keep our water in pristine conditions as though nitrates aren't as poisonous as ammonia or nitrite, in very high levels can be just as harmful.
If your tank is not cycles, don't do water changes. Just let nature take it's course. There isn't any livestock in there right?

No livestock.
Ive got 20kg liverock
20kg of aragonite
With heater and wavemaker running. So no water changes. I have done a 15% change already,i read up and got different answers on diff sites.
What is best to add??
Cheers

We have an excellent article about cycling your tank in our saltwater article section. It will answer a lot of your questions.

Ammonia is at 2
Nitrite at 0
Nitrate at 0.5
So do i want to be adding some ammonia to get the bacteria going?
Do i want to be seeing nitrites?

Will check it out.
Cheers

Where will i find that cycling article?? I got lost reading about corals really.
Dont know if it matters but mon-thurs ammonia was off the chart fri was at 4 saturday and today was at 2
Thanks again

It is in the article section.
Yes, it is normal for the levels to go down over time. It's what you want to happen.

I dont no if it matters or not but the guy i got the rock from had 6 very large tanks and the rock came from his sump tanks.
The rock was then put into two buckets and was out of water for about two hours,would this have been why ammonia was very high from the start do you think?

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0.5

Well ammonia and nitrite stayed at 0 for over week so thought id add some life,so sat got two ocellaris clowns approx 25-30mm long
Yest ammonia went up to 2,so just tested both with strips and api liquid test and thankfully bk at 0.
Nitrate at 5 so will do a wc tomo?
So far fish seem happy and feeding well
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453752462.036690.jpg
Getting a little green on a couple of rocks do you think at the wkend i could add a shrimp or hermit or both,not to bothered by the alge but dont want to add inverts if nothing for them
And would it be to soon to add a zoa?
Cheers

Well today got myself 1 cleaner shrimp and 2 turbo snails so far looking good,all roaming rnd the rockwork doing there thing also got a zoa been in now for half and hour now and prob 70/80 % have opened up and looking amazing, 65% green then prob 30% red and a few blue which i have just seen now theyve opened. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454178439.800547.jpg
Pic not great im affraid

Keep an eye on the turbos,they can starve in a newly established tank,you may have to feed them Nora algae.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ok mate will do. Cheers??

Looking good. Watch your levels closely and don't add too many things to fast

Was thinking of adding either a watchman or a dottyback should i leave for a couple of wks insted do you think?
Cheers

It's always good to space out additions. That way you can watch your parameters and determine how your tank is handling everything.

Ok nice one,will give it a few wks before i add anything else

Can anyone help with this green grass hair like algeeImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454434403.948093.jpg
Do you know why the red zoas dont open that much?and when they do its not all of them?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454434465.844363.jpg
And do you know what this is?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454434506.115046.jpg
Cheers guys

Back
Top Bottom