NEW TANK!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceblueconcepts

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! I am new to the site and the saltwater tank world in general! I just bought and setup my 55 gallon tank. I put the substrate, live rock, and mixed saltwater into the tank. I installed my powerhead, filter, and heater. I added the proper Seachem chemicals given to me at the awesome saltwater shop. So, everything is all done, but my water is SO cloudy! Just wondering if this is typical or not! Hopefully it is! Please let me know! Thanks!

From my experience, which is limited, I would think that it is normal to have cloudy water for a few days. My QT was cloudy for a few days when I first set it up. I had used regular tap water with water conditioner. I now use a RO/DI unit and no more foggy/cloudy water. You may want to look into getting one of those units. Well worth the expense, as it removes almost all impurities that exist in regular tap water. Oh, getting a TDS meter would also be nice to have to monitor the amount of particules in your water. HTH

Also,

:n00b: Welcome to AA!
:smilecolros:
:wave: :band: :wave:
:smilecolros:

8)

It is normal for cloudy water. The salt has to dissolve (24-48hrs) the substrate has to settle (especially if it wasn't rinsed first). Give it a couple of days to settle and it should be crystal clear. I would also look into ro water, but I buy my water from a lfs .33 gal. Salt ro water is .80 gal here. RO/DI units waste alot of water 3-5 gallons for every gallon that it makes... Good luck and let us know how it is going....

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :multi: :onfire: :multi: :onfire: :multi: :onfire: :multi: :onfire: :multi:
The cloudiness is normal and should subside in a few days. Can you give us more info? What type of sunstrate, amount of LR and type of filter? I to am interested in the additives you put in. The best start-up advice I can give you is to invest in a good book. I like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. Good luck...Lando

Thanks everyone! I was in a panic last night after I had gotten everything set up, but this morning to my surprise everything was crystal clear! Thank goodness! Ready to take a sample of my water to get tested tomorrow! Thanks again!

Ready to take a sample of my water to get tested tomorrow
Keep in mind, your tank will not be cycled for several weeks so give it time. The best thing you can purchse for your tank now is a good basic test kit. Save yourself trips to the LFS.

I actually feel alot better about taking the extra trips to the LFS, they know exactly what to do and look for and can give me information, as I am new to this. It's only a 10 minute drive, plus I like to browse and look at all the tanks there. As far as the substrate, I put a bag of sand that I bought at the store, and a bag with mixed sand and bio water in it. I don't know the exact name of that, as I threw the bag away (agri?). I also have 3 large LR and a few other pieces of slate and rock to form cavernous areas. Hope this helps out!

Back
Top Bottom