new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heidia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a new 55 gal tank that I had a freshwater Oscar in.. the Oscar caught ick and I treated it with freshwater maracide. The oscar eventually died and I have since washed the tank out and have already bought some products to turn it into a saltwater, will it be safe for inverts? I know that coppersafe is bad, but is this maracide bad as well? I have my sump and everything coming Tues.

i have read a few articles about freshwater tanks switchin too SW...
wot i have gathered is you can do this as long as NO chemicals was involved in your FW setup !
i would go with caution..setup your new SW tank..and do water tests regular (for at least 6 week) if you cant get it right..then you will need a new tank (
i know that in SW setups if the ick is involved tank must be empty for at least 6 weeks before fish r introduced again !
Good luck

I have the same problem.. I'm just wondering if I can clean the tank really good wash it with ALOT of freshwater to at least dillute it enough for it not to be an issue..I really need to know what to do since I am planning on setting up this week. :cry: and what about ick? do I need to leave the tank dry or can I set up the tank and just leave no fish in it for 6 weeks?

The switch from FW to SW is not a problem. The problem is the treatments performed in the tank. Some treatments are harmful to inverts and can lead to problems in the SW tank over time. It wont be surface chemicals but more likely some traetments that will be absorbed into the silicone sealant. They may release over time and leach back into the system and cause problems.

Back
Top Bottom