New tank can't decide on size???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

audifusion

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys I'm going to do another reef tank in my newly finished basement and can't decide on size .

I don't want anything too crazy, nothing bigger than 250 gallons or so,

Any ideas??

Will this be in the wall or stand alone? I agree that a large footprint and shallow depth are ideal for a reef.

IMO, Shallow would be nice or even just a 240g. I live the 8x2x2 footprint. Looks big when you walk in the room and the 2' depth allows for stacking live rock and still having room for sand in front.

Here's a place that I bought my big tanks from. They are pretty affordable, and make decent tanks. People complain about them, but these guys are half to two thirds cheaper than the competition. View the sizes and get even more confused...lol.
Glasscages.com - Glass Aquariums

If I do a long tank it'd be a max of 6ish feet I length , I'd like to have at least 2ft depth and 18" height would be ideal.

Thinking of a center overflow

I have a couple reeflo hammerhead hybrids hanging around so I would use one of those for a rerun pump and do a closed loop with eductors for circulation

Will this be in the wall or stand alone? I agree that a large footprint and shallow depth are ideal for a reef.

Standalone since I'm finished all the renovations and don't want to tear down any walls, lol

Have you thought about a large shallow cube? I love the look of these tanks and am currently pricing out a 54"x54"x16" which if I run about an inch from the top should give me 190ish gallons

Have you thought about a large shallow cube? I love the look of these tanks and am currently pricing out a 54"x54"x16" which if I run about an inch from the top should give me 190ish gallons

Holy crab those are awesome dimensions! I agree a cube would be awesome. Maybe 4' x 4'?

If I do a long tank it'd be a max of 6ish feet I length , I'd like to have at least 2ft depth and 18" height would be ideal.

Thinking of a center overflow
If you are displaying corals and fish for people in, and out of the hobby, like relatives, I don't think they will appreciate a tank that shallow. I would go 21". I just bought a 105 rimless and it's 21". Perfect for reaching the bottom.

Here's an old acrylic tank of mine. It was 8' x 24" x 17" tall. Awesome for corals, but not so awesome for fish. Most of the viewing was done top down.
img_2809657_0_53758572e71e15dc083e7e4494db57f9.jpg

With custom tanks it's pretty much if you can dream it you can do it. And mr_x that tank is amazing, that looks like a mandarins paradise

Very nice tank mr x bet that has cost alot to date!!!! Amazing stuff do it actually move around or just pulse??

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's awesome, I want a mandarin bad but only have small systems. That's what this big build is really for :)

If you are displaying corals and fish for people in, and out of the hobby, like relatives, I don't think they will appreciate a tank that shallow. I would go 21". I just bought a 105 rimless and it's 21". Perfect for reaching the bottom.

Here's an old acrylic tank of mine. It was 8' x 24" x 17" tall. Awesome for corals, but not so awesome for fish. Most of the viewing was done top down.
img_2815692_0_53758572e71e15dc083e7e4494db57f9.jpg

What are the dimensions? I really like the clean look of the rimless.

Did you do a closed loop for water movement?

The dimensions were 8' x 24" front to back x 17" tall. It was an old acrylic 240 we cut down to 17" because the top was cracked. Not really a rimless...it did bow some when it was full so I welded that metal center brace there and covered it with
Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Rubber Dip Coating
which helped me sleep better at night.
No, no closed loop. If you look real hard you can see power head wires ;)
I had a friend who started an acrylic company make me those low profile overflows.

Back
Top Bottom