New tank cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melmel73098

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We are in day 16 of our set up cycle and can't seem to get the man who helped get us set up to answer many questions. We had some brown "fuzz" grow on our live rock about a week ago and then it just stopped doing anything. Yesterday morning, most of the live rock had bright neon green "fuzz" growing and it's still going, finally starting to spread to the live sand. Amonia is down to .1 but nitrites are still around 1.5, and wanted to make sure this is what we are wanting to see?

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 99
Looks like green hair algae, did you buy this set up used? Are you using ro-di water? It looks like LR but can't tell us it LR or base rock? You have a couple of of options assuming the tank has no livestock yet.
1 find the cause ( most likely high phosphates ) and fight the fight with gha. I had a case in my first 20g and it took about 8 months to finally beat it.

2 remove all the rock and sand and drain tank. Do a peroxide dip/soak of the rocks and scrub the gha off. Soak the rocks in ro water for a couple weeks after changing out the water a couple times a week. If it is a used set up and you didn't replace the sand replace that before you start the tank back up

It is a used tank, but the rock and sand are new. We did a complete clean on the tank before we put water in using 50/50 rodi/vinegar water then rinsed with rodi. I am going to make the 65 mile drive this afternoon to see if the store owner is actually in today so we can see what he suggests.

Nitrate and phosphate are the main fuels for this algae. If you buy a phosphate test kit don't get the api one. You need one with increments if .01 ppm. What kind of filtration are you using on this tank?

Back
Top Bottom