New Tank! my first one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warnerg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have live sand, live rock, and ro saltwater. i will eventually get corals and fish. once my rock is cured do i need to add any chemicals? what about when i get coral? and when should i add snails and crabs?

Read the article on fishless cycling first before you do anything else. Test your levels and when your ammonia and nitrates hit 0, do a 50% water change and you'll be ready for so fish. (Just a few at a time.) No additional chemicals needed. You're probably a few months away from corals, IMO.

No chemical additives should be added, they just pollute the tank in my opinion. Your water changes and lighting will keep your corals alive. I would wait about 2 or 3 months after the fish are added to try corals, they need a more established tank, some more than others. Anemones for instance need the tank to be about a year old for stability reasons. What kind of lighting do you have?? Snails and crabs can be added once the cycle is finished..I'd add them first before any fish.

i have t5 ho 24watt lighting with two daylight bulbs and two blue (oceanic or whatever the saltwater lights)

Back
Top Bottom