New tank need help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

King Supra

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'll be getting a 90 gallon aquarium from my friend this weekend. I've never had an aquarium this large before and I'm very hesitant but excited for it. Problem is when I started my other salt tank I had problems with some of the sand not settling and stuff also how big of a power head will I need? do I need a sump? If I do how or where can I get one? How big of LEDs would I need? How much sand would I need along with salt??? Please help me!!!

First thing first, do you plan a reef, fowlr, or fish only. Then based off that we can help you with lighting. Now for power heads, their a buck out there rated for 90g but really based on the tank shape, if it's a longer tank an you want more flow then get one rated for a 100 or 120. If it's a cube it shoul be fine. Now for sand, I recommend live as it helps everybody out an do you want a deep sand bed or a shallow one? If you buy dry sand, you'll need to rinse it or it will never settle, live needs no rinsing. This could of been your previous problem. Also a pound per sand for shallow an 2-3 pounds or a deeper ine
Sumps are helpful an help hide a lot of the equipment like heaters an such. They are needed IMHO for a reef tank that size but remember that a lot of the larger fish are not nessicarly reef safe

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I currently have a FOWLR tank now and have been thinking about a reef but what exactly makes a tank a reef?? And I was thinking of a deeper sand bed.

If you can go for a sump, do. It adds extra water volume but more importantly (in my opinion) you can hide everything in there

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've never had a sump before so it'll be new for me I'll have to ask for some help from my uncle

Back
Top Bottom