New tank need ideas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exeori

Aquarium Advice Regular
Iv just bought a new 40 gallon (47USgallon) tank and I'm thinking about setting it up as a marine tank. Would I need live rock to cycle the tank? Would I need some extra filtration? I have an internal filter and an external filter doing 200lph? Also what kind of fish are good starter fish? I've kept fresh water before bit I'm new to marine keeping. Any help and advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Iv just bought a new 40 gallon (47USgallon) tank and I'm thinking about setting it up as a marine tank. Would I need live rock to cycle the tank? Would I need some extra filtration? I have an internal filter and an external filter doing 200lph? Also what kind of fish are good starter fish? I've kept fresh water before bit I'm new to marine keeping. Any help and advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!

You can use dry or macro rock in your tank. This will provide the area for the bacteria to grow when you cycle your tank.

You will want a power head or 2 in your tank. This will help oxygenate your water and prevent food and poop from settling so it can be removed from filtration.

There are many different methods of filtration. Canisters can work if cleaned weekly along with your weekly water changes, refugiums export nitrates via macro algae, turf scrubbers remove nitrates by growing algae.. So on.

A good book or two is recommended so you can get as much knowledge as you can befor you start mistakes in this hobby can be costly both in the wallet and the death of fish and corals. Not at all trying to turn you away as I love my tanks but knowledge is the most important piece of equipment needed to start! In my opinion Good luck!

Yeah exactly I'm trying to find out as much information as possible to avoid a hit to my wallet! I will add a protein skimmer for extra filtration and a wave maker to blow the water towards the 3 filter units. think I'm going to give it a try

Would a external fluval 205 filter (680lph) and an internal power filter (1000lph) be enough filtration for a 180 litre marine tank?

Back
Top Bottom