New tank - Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was thinking of hawks, tang, and god knows I want that lion fish (but I know it's not going to happen... Yet) I want a bright marine life that is coral friendly and more then 5 fish... I watch my fresh water flourish, just want the same for my saltwater. Was thinking of a gold banded clown. Maybe a saddle.

Kio707 said:
I was thinking of hawks, tang, and god knows I want that lion fish (but I know it's not going to happen... Yet) I want a bright marine life that is coral friendly and more then 5 fish... I watch my fresh water flourish, just want the same for my saltwater. Was thinking of a gold banded clown. Maybe a saddle.

Yeah a lion would be cool. Hawk fish would be ok with caution. IMHO I like the longnose hawkfish. Most Tangs are good but seeing as you have a 90g I wouldn't get a big one, if that. They swim back and forth and need space to flourish. If you want color I would go with a flame angel or a coral beauty. Angel fish bring lots of color and some of them don't need huge tanks. Good choices on the clowns
But IMHO I would buy two and add them together. Then you wont have to worry about adding anymore down the road. (not saying that you would). :)

Good advice... So maybe I need to upgrade my tank to a bigger size?

Kio707 said:
Good advice... So maybe I need to upgrade my tank to a bigger size?

Well not necessarily. It depends on how bad you want a tang. I think you can have a perfectly, brilliantly, colored tank with out a tang. But thats IMO. If you want to upgrade that is your choice but it's recommended from me. Later on down the road but right I would stick with what you have. :)

To house tangs you need a minimum of a 6 foot tank. :) 125g is the smallest i believe with that dimension. Some tangs, like the blue hippos need a 180g tank! I went with the 125g for the length so I could have tangs, that was my priority. If you wanted a Tang in the 90 the only one I can think of that wouldbe ok is the yellow eye Kole tang. I had one, very active and nice fish.

carey said:
To house tangs you need a minimum of a 6 foot tank. :) 125g is the smallest i believe with that dimension. Some tangs, like the blue hippos need a 180g tank! I went with%2

Hmmm, a lot to take in.... Well, I could easily upgrade since I just started. Just transfer everything... But I'll also look at the tang u suggested. What about warrse? (think I misspelled that) Jawfish?

carey said:
To house tangs you need a minimum of a 6 foot tank. :) 125g is the smallest i believe with that dimension. Some tangs, like the blue hippos need a 180g tank! I went with the 125g for the length so I could have tangs, that was my priority. If you wanted a Tang in the 90 the only one I can think of that wouldbe ok is the yellow eye Kole tang. I had one, very active and nice fish.

+1 I completely agree. Your very limited to what you can do with a tang in a 90g.

get invertebrates :) they are so awesome! pistol shrimps, cleaner shrimps, crabs, mmmm :D you can't go wrong with them!

No cover do to my light and eventually I wanna do hard corral. I read as long as Jawfish have places to hide, the won't go airborne... Lol. But shrimp and crabs are an idea. Just gotta make sure they won't be eaten by the fish I want.

Also, does anyone recommend mail order fish? Denver is 45 min away from me, but if it's cheaper on line...

I do not have experience but it seems self-contradicting to order online.

$15 fish online compared to $20 in store
$15 + $40 shipping = $65

The only way to get your money's worth is to buy multiple fish at once, which I believe is going against adding fish slowly to your tank. I would think to only buy online if there is a really neat fish that they cannot get locally. And even then do not buy online unless you've ASKED your LFS to specifically get it for you. (got my candy pistol shrimp this way) granted it is a common shrimp but still.

This is all my opinion and speculation though :p

I think in favor of mail order you can find almost any fish you want. Locally youre limited to stock unless your store will special order you fish you want.

I ordered fish online and found the experience to be pleasant and easy. It for sure wasnt cheap, they really get you on shipping. :)

I'm uploading pics of my tank to my gallery if anyone is interested in looking, I'll take all advice.

Tank looks good, thats a huge sump btw! lol What is that green bushy thing in the back of the tank, is that a plant?

Yeah, forgot the name of it. Just helps filter and keep levels where they need to be. The sump is pretty big, but makes water changes so much easier...

Got some confusion going on. I've got two friends with saltwater tanks and two different situations... 1 set up his tank and the next day threw in a stone fish and has no issues. 2 set up his tank and uses nothing but tap water and his reef, fish, crabs, and shrimp are thriving.... I've had my tank for 2 weeks and I'm afraid to put anything in because I don't want it to die... Lol. My corals are doing good. I need to get some more test strips, but does it sound like my tank is ready???

Back
Top Bottom