New tank new to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gooseman61oh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Started up a ten gallon tank that I want to turn into a reef tank. It's been up and running for about 2 weeks I have 2 snails and 2 hermit crabs in it for now. I'm thinking about getting sand for the bottom because I read the crushed coral isn't good. Please let me know what you guys think and any tips would help. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391487401.088293.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391487418.758935.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391487428.492240.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391487475.419290.jpg

I also need new lighting but I don't know what kind of lights I need to keep coral

I would fill it right up to the top :) does it have a canopy? I use a par38 led light on my 10g and am really happy with it. What do you plan for livestock or are you just wanting corals? For a successful reef remember to use ro-di water and check your salinity often - I top off almost daily...

I have a 92 gallon corner reef and I top off about 1-3 gallons a day.

If really like to have a shrimp goby pair in there and maybe one other fish I really like the court jester goby... I saw not on live aquaria

That would be fine for a ten but would be pretty much maxed out bio load wise

Started up a ten gallon tank that I want to turn into a reef tank. It's been up and running for about 2 weeks I have 2 snails and 2 hermit crabs in it for now. I'm thinking about getting sand for the bottom because I read the crushed coral isn't good. Please let me know what you guys think and any tips would help. View attachment 220615View attachment 220616View attachment 220617View attachment 220618

Sand would definitley be better. You are very limited on fish due to the small size of the tank.

I would not add more than one fish. I also agree that sand would be a better choice.
Just curious, are you running any type of filtration?
How powerful is that powerhead?
What kind of water did you use to fill the tank? How are you measuring salinity levels?

I have filter hanging on the back I'm not sure how much the power head puts out it looks like 240 gph but I can't really read it. I used tap water :( I know everybody swears by the ro/di water but I didn't know what that was when I setup this tank

I have filter hanging on the back I'm not sure how much the power head puts out it looks like 240 gph but I can't really read it. I used tap water :( I know everybody swears by the ro/di water but I didn't know what that was when I setup this tank

The HOB filter is fine. Tap water was a poor choice if you are wanting coral. My suggestion at this point would be to either get the ro/di now and start doing water changes more frequently than normal, or buy some gallons of ro/di water from wal mart while you save up for a ro/di system.

View attachment 220724 that's how I'm measuring salinity
I also recommend using a refractometer rather than the hydrometer you have now. If not, make sure you do your very best to get all of the air bubbles out of your hydrometer or you can get incorrect readings and put your livestock in danger.

Ok so I took a step back got the good water new rock and sand here it isImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391988989.339202.jpg

What would be a better choice as I am looking to upgrade from my MH's to LED?

T5ho bulbs are fine and work great as long as your good about replacing the bulbs, I had a 4 bulb unit on my 20 for a while and would replace the bulbs twice a year

Back
Top Bottom