New Tank - Nitrite to Nitrate Stalled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talipini

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello – I am using fishless cycle to get everything ready in my new tank (10g). I am 12 weeks into it and the second stage (Nitrite to Nitrate) is stalling. Ammonia converts to Nitrite fairly quickly (<1 day) but Nitrate conversion is taking forever. In the last four weeks I saw Nitrate spike up couple of times but Nitrite never really dropped. I think it had way too much nitrite, so I changed the water couple of times to got the Nitrite back to 5-7ppm range. I am not seeing Nitrite to Nitrate conversion anymore or may be it is very very slow.

So, my questions are –

1. Should I just wait until I see a Nitrate spike again?
2. Should I continue to add Ammonia to make sure that bacteria doesn’t starve & die? (Ammonia seems to be converting fast but I am afraid that Nitrite will build up again if add regularly).
3. Anything I can do to help the process move or anyway to check if the process stalled?

Appreciate all the help!
Thanks

U said 12 weeks into the cycle on a 10 gallon normally takes 2-4 weeks imo at most yes is stop dosing if.u have.been dosing that.long let all parms drop to zero do a 20% pwc and add fish

Back
Top Bottom