New tank ph of 7.9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I keep my ph fairly high around 8.2. If its higher than that then youd need a buffer. If youre cautiuous about how to buffer it then check the water youre putting in the tank. Is it ro/di? tap water? Are you using cc for substrate or dsb?

How new is the tank? If it's still cycling don't even both testing for PH. It will swing wildly until after the cycle.

My PH was all over from 7.3 to 8.3 during the initial cycle. I'm now on week 6 and it has stabilized considerably between 8.2 and 8.3. With the help of others in this forum I have learned some very useful tips.

1. Air circulation over the water helps a lot. Ever wondered what is the CO2 level inside your house ? Try opening a window for a few hours. High CO2 = low PH.

2. Use a high quality PH test kit. Probably the problem is not as big as you think. Some LFS will do PH testing for free. Compare those results with yours at home.

3. Timing. PH is usually higher after the lights go off. Lower in the morning.

4. Stick to a regular water change (20% once a month) schedule using high quality water (RO) and salt. pre mix 24 hrs before. I did my first water change on week 5 and the results were impresive. PH got higher, Nitrates went down, ammonia went down, nitrite went down, CO2 went down, KH went higher.

5. Do more frequent PH testing and keep a log (probably daily), take notes and any observations in your tank until the problem is solved. Seat back and analyze the data, where the lights on ? Window open ? last water change ? Alkalinity ? CO2 ? try to correlate everything and look for a pattern.

6. IMO adding a PH buffer should be your last resource

7. I found this article to be very useful in learning about PH,
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2002/chem.htm

Hope this helps,
Norberto

Back
Top Bottom