new tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matt1245

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok so i set up my biocube (29) today and it has 15 lbs of base rock in it, live aragonite sand and its still clearing up i was wandering how long should i wait until i add a cleanup crew like a few snails mabye a shrimp??

suggestions and a price range would be appriciated

If it was bagged sand, it's not really live IMO. I would add a few, 2-3lbs. of live rock to seed your base rock. Cycle the tank before you add fish. Throw in a raw, unseasoned jumbo shrimp in (found at your local grocery store) and wait until it is decayed and ammonia and nitrites are 0 and you see nitrates. then do a 30-50% water change and you are safe to add fish. Slowly! Then wait a month or so and start adding your cuc slowly so they don't starve.

I agree, you want to cycle your tank before you add a clean up crew or fish for that matter. Once your ammonia/nitrites spike and hit 0 and your nitrAtes rise, do a PWC and then you can add your clean up crew and fish, probably about 2 the first time and about one every few weeks....

Back
Top Bottom