New Tank Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mnestroy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I am setting up my first Salt water tank, 40 Gal, 5pounds of live rock.

I've had it setup for like 12 days and am waiting for it to cycle.

The first 7days I had 1 Damsel 5 tiny hermit crabs and 1 snail.

The Damsel has since died, my question is... Will my tank continue to cycle without the Damsel?

I've tested the levels, I do have ammonia I cant tell if they are still rising... (have only had test kit 4days) ... Will the crabs/snale continue to raise the levels? I've been throwing a little food in their in hope to also raise the levels.

Also is there any way to speed the cycle process up? :)

Thanks

I would add another 35lbs of live rock for starters. The crabs and snails, and feeding the tank will cycle the tank.

Be very patient, if you rush, you will be disappointed. Give it a couple more weeks, and you may be able to add a fish.

Here is the best way to cycle your tank. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15
The fish dying is pretty much a given. The crabs etc are also likely to die also. No instant way to really speed up the cycle. More LR will speed it up some. You have to be patient in this hobby. As Micheal said you need to invest in more LR 60-80 lbs total is ideal for your tank. How much circulation do you have? Do you have a skimmer?

I don't have a protein skimmer yet... I need to take things slow with the spending

As far as circulation I will be getting a 2nd powerhead so I can get my 800gph rate.

I plan on buy more rock but I also need to take that slow...

Is it still worth me puttin a dead shrimp in the tank at this point? Day 13 even though I've had a damsel (that has died) and still have several hermitcrabs?

I feel for you, been there done that. This hobby is measured in months, not days or weeks.

Study your snails' and hermit crabs' behaviour for a month. Feed them no more than twice a week. They might appear to be simple creatures, but watching them is fascinating.

Add some LR, a handfull of snails, a hermit or two, let them settle in for a couple of weeks.

Splash out on a couple of shrimps. Watch their antics.

Maybe after 3 months consider a fish or two.

Any faster than that and you'll be disappointed.

I would not add a shrimp at this point since it will cause a NH3 spike and probably kill what is left. Have you tested your water yet? Keep a eye on NO2 and NH3. and do some PWC to keep the water suitable for the inverts. Sit back and wait for things to "zero"

Make sure you read the article that Brenden gave you.It is good reading for future references.

You could try using bio spira for saltwater it will give you the 4 benificial strands of bacteria your biological filter needs and seeing that you already have amoninia and nitrite in your tank the bacteria will survive, i have never done this for cycling a tank before, because it is new technology, but i added some to help boost my current bacteria levels.

Back
Top Bottom