New Tank Setup - Noisy overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retired_AF

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just replaced my old 90-gallon legacy tank with a modern standard 90. It is up and running but I am having an issue with the noise from the overflow. My old tank used a durso standpipe and was almost silent. This tank has a slotted pipe with a foam cover over it and a float that sits inside the pipe to let more water out if necessary. It works as designed but the noise drives me crazy.

The noise is cause by the falling water from the tank into the overflow chamber, a drop of about 4-1/2 inches. The running water sound is totally unacceptable.

Is there something I can easily do to either raise the water level in the overflow chamber or, alternatively, guide the water flow so the noise stops? I tried using a piece of foam to channel the water to the edges and that helped some, but the noise is still very loud.

The previous owner glued everything together, making it impossible unless I change out the bulkhead adapter which is unreachable without taking the tank down again.

I had the same thing and i know this sounds crazy but i neatly folded a wash cloth and placed it over the over flow box and the noise considerably disappeared

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had the same thing and i know this sounds crazy but i neatly folded a wash cloth and placed it over the over flow box and the noise considerably disappeared.

Well, if it sounds crazy but works, it isn't crazy. I just placed a rag over the overflow and the noise is almost completely gone. THANKS!!!!! :dance:

I'm sure you could silence it another way. We only get noise in our overflows from there being air to slurp around while draining. Raising the water level in the overflow will do such.
Putting a lid over it, as has been done, masks it...though in reality it isn't really a problem other than it being annoying.
On my overflow I have a piece that goes over the drain that a plastic 'straw' fits into it. By adjusting it to a certain height it reduces the drain sound.

Back
Top Bottom