New tank setup please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klementovicz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 70 gallon FOWLR setup that is doing great. I wanted to keep that tank as is and start dabbling in a reef setup. A friend was giving away a 65 gallon acrylic tank with stand and lights. I figured i would take it and give reef a shot. I wasnt really paying to much attention when i picked up the tank since i was getting something for nothing. I am having trouble determining whether this tank will be suitable for what i want to do. The tank is 65 gallon undrilled. it has a built in sump system in the tank. i am sorry if i am not describing this right. but basically the bioballs and protein skimmer are setup in the overflow/sump inside the tank which takes up a nice portion of the back of the tank. the protein skimmer that came with the tank looks like it would run a 10 gallon tank and not a 65. but with the way the tank is setup there is no way to fit a bigger skimmer in there. Also the way the top of the tank is designed it only has two cut outs in the top where the lights sit and not sure where i would hook up powerheads if i needed to. I can post up some pictures if i am describing this incorrectly.

it's up to you if you want to use this tank. from your description, you are probably right in that the skimmer is worthless, and the built in sump is less then ideal.
you could probably mod it to work better, but if you like the salt hobby, you are going to love a reef tank. you might want to think long and hard and maybe buy exactly what you want/need for the perfect system.

Instead of investing the money to set up the 65, why don't you just converting the 70 slowly? Unless you have non-reef fish, there is nothing saying a FOWLR can't evolve into a reef.

True true. i can just convert my 70. I have a porcupine puffer that i dont think is totally reef safe. My wife loves him so he is our main concern. I think you guys are right i am going to look into possible modding this tank that i just recieved. possibly trying to remove the sump in the tank and drilling it out for a seperate sump system. If that doesnt work out i will look into just converting my current tank. i am starting to get the reef itch. lol.

Also if I did decide to convert my 72 gallon that is currently fowlr that has been running for 7 months now. In your opinion is that mature enough to start putting coral in. Granted I have to updgrade lights and add powerheads.

At 7 months the tank is ready to adding coral. The big concern is how stable are the water parameters. If you have been doing regular water changes and testing the water parameters to make sure everything checks out, then the tank is ready.

Thanks for the advice. i think for now i am going to just set this new tank up and see how the flow is and will just mod the tank as it needs it. i guess since it is acrylic it shouldnt be too bad.

Back
Top Bottom