New tank start up sequence?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Activist
Exciting times!! My 55 g with a 20 g sump is all set up and ready to go. The following is the start-up sequence as I understand it. Please correnct me where I am wrong. I am non live sand on the bottom (2.5") then wish to seed it with 5-7 pounds over top. I have 30 pounds of haitian live rock which i wish to put in as well.

1. Put water into my tank and add the salt (can i use regular tap water? or do i have to use purified water?)

2. Check my salinity levels then start up the system.

3. Let the system run for 2-3 days then add the live sand.

4. Add half the rock 4 days after the live sand. Has been added. Add the other half of the live rock again 4 days later. (or can i add more of the sand and the rock all at one time?)

5. Do all my checks etc and wait 4-6 weeks to cycle.

How does this look guy's?

1. u will have a major algae problem if u use tap water...ro water is def. recommended...i get mine from walmart for .33 a gallon
2. will take 24 hours for all the salt to desolve and to get an accurate reading so just try to get it close at first
3. if u are gonna have live rock then i wouldnt get live sand... just let your live rock do the job seeding your sand...it is up to u but u could save some money here
4. imo i would add it all at once...this is the best way to cure your rock and kick off your cycle all at once
5. it may not take 4-6 weeks depending on how cured your rock is already...it only took me a week and a half to cycle my 30 gal.....u sould cycle pretty fast with 30 lbs of lr, like i said depending on how cured it is

p.s. anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong, or to add to anything i have stated. I too am pretty new but i am just speaking from my experience with my newly cycled tank and from what i have read on this forum for the last 2 months...hth :)

You might be able to use tap, it depends on your water quality. I've yet to make the switch to RO and don't have major algae problems. As for your steps,

Add playsand, base rock, etc

add water

turn on circulation and heat

begin mixing salt into the tank until SG is around .023 - .026. Pour the salt in front of a powerhead to get it mixing. Wait at least a day or so after you've reached your SG to make sure it hasn't creeped up and to let PH stabilize. Make sure the PH is around 8.2.

Add all live rock/sand at one time.

wait for cycle.

Quick tip: Don't fill your tank complelety full of water at first - maybe 80%. That way, if after adding salt, your salinity is too high, you can always add more water to bring it down without having to do a water change. :wink:

I personally filled the tank with water right up to the top and then mixed it up to the correct salinity. That way, as the rock went in and I removed the displaced water into a rubbermaid tub, I already had my first water change taken care of :wink:

Back
Top Bottom