New tank transfer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you have anything from the tank that's running that can be transferred into the new one? Rock, filter media, sand. Anything with some bb on it. Shouldn't have ammonia in the tank since there is nothing but salt water in it. Hmmmmm

I just put a hob filter from my old tank on it with the carbon pad thats been there for a week and i just added a smaller fresh peice in behind it. I just put all my new sand it as well, so now its real cloudy ! Figured i might as well. Im going to take a few small pieces of lr out of my current and put them in once it clears up and i can get my sump running. I need about 15 20 more gallons to get it fired up. I cant really take my tank water and put it in there to fire it up and transfer like i originally intended. I have to get this sump fired up, in order to get this cycle overwith, i have a feeling im going to hit a heavy cycle once i start up the sump, the overflow tubes and some spots in the overflow i just couldnt get to in order to remove the deposits left from the freshwater setup it once was from the previous owner.

Test kits are 4 months old going on 5. Im almost out, but sorry for the long post. You guys are all the help i have !

No problem Your gonna have a small cycle do to the die off (maybe why the .05 reading) the more stuff you can add from the old tank the the better, you can move everything from the old tank.
But you must test and watch for any spike in ammonia trates or trites try to have enough water to do a 25-40% PWC just in case even a 10% will help

No problem Your gonna have a small cycle do to the die off (maybe why the .05 reading) the more stuff you can add from the old tank the the better, you can move everything from the old tank.
But you must test and watch for any spike in ammonia trates or trites try to have enough water to do a 25-40% PWC just in case even a 10% will help

+1,
Just don't rush yourself and get frustrated. Hope for the best but, be prepared for the worst.

Im prepared to take it slow. I am prepared to let it cycle however long it needs to. Ill slowly keep adding my liverock over a period of time, im gonna have to buy a big bucket what do u guys reccomend?

what are you going to use it for i use a brute 32 gl trash can for my RO/DI water 5 gl pails come in handy as well as those rubber maid totes

I have a few 10 gallon rubbermaid trash buckets i bought brand new, i want to get one of the trash cans as well.

So you should probably add all your Lr and sand at once, then fill the tank and let it sit awhile. Wash your sand to help keep the trates and distrust down. You don't wanna add all that to the new tank. I would then add the sand and then the new bag(s) of sand. You can even use your old water as well. Good luck, you'll get the hang of it. Tank transfers are a lot of work but its well worth it on the end!

I got some lr moved over and my new sand :) tank is just clearing up and then the transfer should be good to go around 8 pm tonight fingers crossed!

I need to buy a new return pump as mine has some hardware thats wornout, plus the flow is just on par. I want something that is somewhat like the marineland 4500 utility pump as thats what i have now. Im not sure of the fitting size either. I have a 1 1/2 inch overflow.

Should i re acclimate my anenome into my upgrade?

As fussy as they can be i would. prob even do the fish to, what can it hurt

Everything has been in for about 3 hours now, and so far so good! Im going to be taking a damsel i put in a future qt tank to the lfs for 5 off a kole tang ive been looking at:) will be purchasing a new return pump, a cad lights pipeless protein skimmer, and its possible i will be upgrading to leds

Im going for a mixed reef, half sps lps, and some zoas :)

That's awesome! Hopefully you'll have some pics up today so we can admire the new tank.

Thanks jj! Im going to be getting a kole tang and a foxface next week!:) i also need some more hermits and snails! Wont be upgrading lights as i dont see any need. This 6 bulb 36 inch fixture is awesome man i tell ya! With a black background the light directed to the tank is so much more intense!

Back
Top Bottom