New to AA and Saltwater! Looking for some advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dan81

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All! I have been trolling this site for a few months now and after a ton of research here and other sites, I decided to finally start a FOWLR set up. I set up a 29 gallon tank with 30lbs of live rock last friday 3.1.09. I set up the tank in the morning and I tested the water that night.
PH: 8.0
Ammonia: .4
Nitrite:.2
Nitrate:10

On 3.3.09 I tested again
PH:8.0
Ammonia: .2
I added a little flake food to see if I would get a ammonia spike.

Finally last night I tested again:
PH:8.0
Ammonia:.2

So my levels pretty much have not changed. I am going to pick up a different test kit today and see if anything changes, if all is the same I will throw a raw shrimp in there and see if I get a spike in ammonia.
My question is, is this a good plan? If i dont see a big spke can I assume the tank is just about cycled and just wait till ammonia and nitrite drops to Zero?

I will aslo post some pictures soon!

Sorry for the long post.

Welcome to AA. I think you are on the right track with the shrimp. I can't remember who said it but putting the shrimp in a plastic baggie with holes will help you remove it after the cycle.

Welcome to AA. Remember your cycle will not happen over nite. It will take a few weeks.

Yeah I was hoping that if I stared at the tank full of rocks all day it would go faster but I guess not:).
Yeah I do know that i need to wait a few weeks I was just curious about when I would start seeing the readings start to change.

And Thank you all for the warm Welcome!

Great job so far! Looking at your test results, it looks as if the possible die-off from the LR is adding a slight ammonia source (thus the low readings), try the shrimp, I prefer 1 jumbo, raw unseasoned shrimp per 30G of water.

Just Threw in One Raw shrimp! I will do another test tomorrow and see where we stand. I definitely want to be patient with this but I just was thinking that my cycle may be a bit quicker since I think I got some pretty good live rock. it was from an already established tank and was only out of water for the 15 minute ride from the LFS to my house. Figured die of would be minimal. But what do I know, Im still a Newb:D

Ok so I just did a a water test:
PH: 8.0
Ammonia: .8
Nitrite: .4
Alk: 4.5

Looks like that Jumbo Shrimp did the trick! Had a major ammonia spike!
So now I guess its more waiting game.
Im guessing that it is ok to take the shrimp out now? Or should I leave it in another day or so?

I'd leave it in a few more days just because it can't really hurt. 0.8 ppm isn't really a "major" ammonia spike. Mine was up over 6.0 when I cycled!

I guess im just calling it major because it really had not changed for about a week then a couple days after the shrimp was put in it jumped. I may be a bit over excited but im just happy to see a change. I will leave it in another day or two. My Girlfriend keeps telling me to take it out cause its ugly, so I think I can manage to leave it a little longer before I break down and remove it:D

...My Girlfriend keeps telling me to take it out cause its ugly, so I think I can manage to leave it a little longer before I break down and remove it:D

Ahhh... yes, you need to delicately balance the tank/girlfriend relationship. Assuming you want to keep the tank. Or the girlfriend. Or both. :)

With that said, you're probably OK taking the shrimp out now seeing that there are other factors in the equation, but leaving it in will just build up even more bacteria - not a bad thing.

got a 55 gallon tank and i set it all up with store bought water and salt and everything was good i took a water sample in to get tested everything was good and they said i was ready to put in some fish so i got 6 damsels to cycle the tank 2 domino black 4 striped and 2 yellow tails. is it alright to add a penquin to help the current or using a canister filter enough for a good current. the canister it for up to 55 gallon tanks. also should i use one of those air filter guys to add bubble to the tank? i tried to test the water with the hydrometer and this morning the reading was good and all of a sudden the reading jumped up on me. is this due to adding the peguin ad the air filtration into the tank? please help do not want to kill the fish. any help is greatly appriciated

Im sure an expert will chime in here anytime now. but if you just got the tank, my thought is that you really shouldent have all those fish yet. Would be why your numbers jumped. Also if you want really god advice on here it is best to include as much info as possible in you post ( water parameters, equipment ect.) but like I said. A real expert will chime in soon im sure!

thanks i didnt know if i should have added fish but the people who tested my water today at the store said all the levels where good the only thing that was a little low but they said it was good to add in the damsels now since they help cycle the tank. i am using a canister filtation system i have about 20 pounds of lace rock along with one 6 pund LR. the hydrometer is getting back to where it was before the fish you placed in the tank. just want to know if its ok (safe) to add the penguin to help with the current flow since in the one corner of the take isnt moving as fast as the rest of the tank is. also want to know if it ok (safe) to add the air filtation to add some bubbles?

Is the penguin a Power Head? If so I would say it wouldent hurt. but im no expert. You can use the damsels to cycle the tank, however most folks on here recommend fishless cycling. more humane to the fish. I just started my cycle with a raw jumbo shrimp. I guess it come down to preference. Do you have a test kit? or do you plan on taking your water to the store every time you wanna test? I use a hydrometer to but am looking into getting a refractometer since it is more reliable that the hydrometer. A little more live rock wouldent hurt either. Still waiting for that expert opinion on the matter tho.......;)

thanks for the info man. i use a hydrometer as well not to sure how to work the thing though. the store is right around the corner from my house probably will go there to test for now. dont have the cash for the kit jsut dropped 600 to get the t ank going. not sure if the panguin is a power head got it from my cousin it says 1140 on the top of it

I hear you on the cash thing. But when you do have the money definitely get the test kit I hear the one by API is good, its a little work but will help monitor your tank. all the real fish gurus must be sleeping.

Back
Top Bottom