new to corals advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bounceae86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi . I have a 100 gallon bow with 2 36w t8's and a 100w cree led system i made . I want to start with a few that dont require too much attention and want to think long term as ill be adding more leds as i go .

Thanks for your help

Personally I would get my lights upgraded before I added any coral. That way you can move the coral around until it gets the light it needs. Most corals don't need a lot of attention to anything but light. flow and water quality.

The led system i got from reef led lights .com states the equivilent to 150 w mh ?? With the 2 t8's surely enough for some soft stuff and small lps, polyps , mushrooms etc ??

I don't believe a light of 150w mh will reach to bottom of the tank as tall as most 100 gallons are to be effective. I am just researching the leds and have been for about a year. I am still deciding if they are right for my tanks or not.

If u have a metal hallidw that will get the spectrum down to the bottom. T5 lights only penetrate the blue light about 24 inches or less. T8s are not that bad either. I don't know why people give them a bad rep.

that's incorrect. t5's, halides, and LEDs will all penetrate 30" of water easily, providing they are the right fixtures, reflectors, wattage etc.
t8's are about useless for keeping coral long term.

Their are ways of maintaining corals that are more light loving than others with less than optimal lighting fixtures. Positioning the coral higher up in your tank will help, likewise if your corals are receiving too much light you can raise you lights or lower the corals in your tank.
Remember that light represents just one aspect of maintaining healthy corals. Corals can also be maintained under less than ideal circumstances though the vibrant colors will not be evident as if the lighting were ideal. Water parameters, water flow, dissolved organics, tanins, terpenes, turbidity, salt creep on light fixtures and tops and temperature all play a part in the success of your corals health, NOT JUST LIGHT!
Good Luck

I have 36 3wxre cree leds on a strip which covers all the rocks and on 70 degree lenses ?? Should be enough ? Ill just bin the stock t8

Back
Top Bottom