new to hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tinman

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have just started a fowlr tank and am excited about finally getting it going. I have been sucessful with FW tanks of various sizes for years but always wanted a SW tank. I am starting with a 10 gal just to get my feet wet. I know that is not recommended but I am working on a budget and do not want to screw up a 55 gal due to cost. I have a 55 gal I will be moving into if all goes well. But as of now I have a 10 gal with a skilter 250, 1 inch bed of CC Sand mix, and about 10 pounds of rock that has been filled with the water for about 2 weeks. last night I went and got 2.5 pounds live rock and 1 pound live sand from LFS set up. I put in 2 damsels to get the cycle going. I have been researching SW for about a year but still have questions. I have great circulation in the tank, Do I still need a powerhead? And I also still have lighting questions. What lighting do I need to get a good coralline algae growth on my rock? Will the 2.5 pounds of live rock revive my dead rock? thnx for any help

Is the only thing in the tank thats moving water the skilter? If so then ya I would slap a small PH in there aswell. Your aware that those two cycling damsels are also your maxium fish load? In all honesty the 55 your working up to is going to be much easier to maintain than the 10 gal your starting with.

Unless you plan on adding corals to the 10 gal you can get by with a single or double florecent fixture. You wont need much light to stimulate coraline growth. You should have enough 'live' rock and sand in the tank to give the dead sand and rock a jumpstart in becomming live.

A lot of folks around here suscribe to cycling with grocery store shrimp instead of putting any fish thru that stress. Also, just wondering what the increased costs would be if you went with a 20g instead. At least you'd be able to more effectively control the water fluctuations with more water to fluctuate.

At 10 gallons, you may be at your max for inhabitants in a tank that size.

Welcome to AA! and good luck! :smilecolros:

fishfreak,

Yeah the skilter is the only thing giving me current. I have it located in the middle and it seems to move the current around all four corners. I will probably get a PF, what size would be good? My LFS will take back the damsels when I am done cycling. This tank is going to end up being my sons NEMO tank..lol..one clown fish and maybe a shrimp or 2 will be the inhabitants after cycling. Is there anything I can add to the tank to help the coraline growth? also considering I just added the fish, LS, LR last night and checking the levels am seeing ALK level of about .50 at what point would the skimmer function of the skilter need to be on, and should I run the light during cycling. I actually have 2 standard flourescent 10 gal fixtures.

I also noticed a little feather duster in a hole in my live rock. It pops in and out of the hole. The feathers make a little circle about 1/4in round when it is opened up. Will this need any specail care to grow or will it be OK on its own. It is at the highest spot in the tank directly under light.

Back
Top Bottom