New to nems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris J

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my tank has been up for about 8 months now and I decided to try my hand at a condy anemone. From what I've gathered through the Internet, he looks pretty healthy, not bleached (he isn't quite as tan as he was at the LFS but that may just be the difference in lighting or the stress of the move but he doesn't appear to be actively losing color), closed mouth, nice red tube body and there was no damage to the foot when I placed him in. He put his foot in a crevasse right where I placed him a week ago and hasn't moved since. He is under a 4x24w t5ho fixture 2x10k bulbs and 2xactinic bulbs. Are those the best bulbs to keep him under? Should those bulbs be a different Kelvin rating? I fed him twice with pieces of thawed shrimp about the size of his mouth and he ate both of them. I'm just trying to have an experienced nem keeper put my mind at ease and possibly tell me anything I may be doing wrong.

Here's a pic of him
image-1389716453.jpg

Sounds fine to me. It looks healthy in the pic. Condies are not too demanding. How deep is it in the tank away from the lights?

I am not sure that is enough light for a condy. I tried to keep a nem under 4 x 54w t-5 (2xwhite2xactinic) in my 55g. The nem lived at the very top if the tank reaching up to the light. After a few months I upgraded to LEDs. Depends on the size tank, I hear people having success with 4 bulb set ups but most will suggest 6 or 8 if its a larger tank. It looks great tho, nice nem :)

Thanks, I was told that the Condys are a little more forgiving as far as lighting goes, but I have plans to upgrade to LEDs soon anyway. I have a second question as well, I would like to get a bubble tip in the future, will this cause a nem war if I put them both in the same tank?

Depends on the size of the tank I think. I would wait a good while, let this guy find his place first. Then hope the new one doesn't go walkies...

I agree on the 6 and 8 bulbs, i have a 6 bulb 239 w over a 39 gallon, and my nem likes the bottom of the tank, which is where he looks best! If he is not attaching on the bottom and is crawling upwards id suggest the upgrade, nems can live under low lighting for about a year if the other conditions good , but it wont thrive and grow.

I have an LED light being delivered this week. I'm sure the Condy will appreciate the upgrade although he has been happy and firmly planted in the same spot since I put him in.

Back
Top Bottom