New to reef tanks getting a 175 gal fully stocked w/everything needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach brown

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A buddy of mine is moving and has a 175 gallon salt watwr reef tank that he is going to sell to me for 500$ comes with everything sumps, protein skimmers Lots of coral and live rock the light hood the stand Everything you need and more. In total there is about 2500$ worth of corals and live rock. I'm a bit new to salt water aquariums and am just asking for some advise on how i can get the coral to grow fast and thrive and also on what kinds of fish i need to avoid getting, i dont want them eating my corals. Thanks

A buddy of mine is moving and has a 175 gallon salt watwr reef tank that he is going to sell to me for 500$ comes with everything sumps, protein skimmers Lots of coral and live rock the light hood the stand Everything you need and more. In total there is about 2500$ worth of corals and live rock. I'm a bit new to salt water aquariums and am just asking for some advise on how i can get the coral to grow fast and thrive and also on what kinds of fish i need to avoid getting, i dont want them eating my corals. Thanks

If these corals are already acclimated to the light and tank. Ask your friend the times, dimming, and distance from he had them setup at. What he doses and how often?
Also take a picture of the tank taking note of:
Where each coral is located.
Where the power heads are and where they are pointed.
How the rock work is setup to support the coral locations.

Not knowing your specific coral types, type of light, and such maybe hard to give specific advise.

Fish I would avoid in a reef tank
All butterfly fish, trigger fish and large predatory fish.

Some Good beginner fish types.
Clownfish(one kind only and only 1 pair max)
Dart fish
Some wrasses
Cardinal fish
Gobies
Blennys
Chromis

I myself am a relative newbie to salt water so others may have better advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If these corals are already acclimated to the light and tank. Ask your friend the times, dimming, and distance from he had them setup at. What he doses and how often?
Also take a picture of the tank taking note of:
Where each coral is located.
Where the power heads are and where they are pointed.
How the rock work is setup to support the coral locations.

Not knowing your specific coral types, type of light, and such maybe hard to give specific advise.

Fish I would avoid in a reef tank
All butterfly fish, trigger fish and large predatory fish.

Some Good beginner fish types.
Clownfish(one kind only and only 1 pair max)
Dart fish
Some wrasses
Cardinal fish
Gobies
Blennys
Chromis

I myself am a relative newbie to salt water so others may have better advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm still pretty new to this as well but I'd say this is good advice.

A lot of science as well as trial and error goes into having a successful tank. If the corals are doing well in your friends tank before you buy it then I'd say with little experience that you should try your best to mimic his setups and routines as best as possible. But you should definitely do research on what he's selling to you to make sure you'd even want to take on the responsibility and cost.

I'm saying all this out of respect as I don't know your level of interest or knowledge and I apologize if I offend you because I don't mean to..but this is a huge undertaking if you don't have any/much experience.

Back
Top Bottom