New to Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tracie6283

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so we just bought a 125 to move our Oscars into, and now I have a 55 that i really want to make into a saltwater. I've had my heart set on seahorses, but i know they have to have low current and can't really have any other fish in with them. What's a good way to start a saltwater and what's a good "beginner" saltwater fish. I currently just have the 3 freshwater tanks, and don't know the first thing in starting a saltwater. There's a polka dot cardinal fish at my lfs and i'm basically in love with him. Any ideas would be great. Or if there's a link somewhere in here on a step-by-step beginners guide that'd be great!

Ive heard seahorses are hard to do.. I'd love some some day myself.

Damsels, Clownfish, grammas a few good 'starter' fish. Common clowns are pretty good community fish.. I'd steer clear of damsels if you want to have more fish.. and I'd go with a pair of clowns for a 55 gallon. Thats what I stated out with.. but its up to you. Fosters & Smith has a good 'starter fish' section on their liveaquaria page. That cardinal fish you mentioned would be a good choice, too.

I would get a good skimmer - if you're not wanting to go the sump route you can get a decent HOB skimmer if you're going FOWLR or FO ( fish with live rock, or fish only) - ideally having live rock helps a lot. 1-2 lbs per gallon..

Back
Top Bottom