New to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry,I can't resist joining in.
Bottom line,if you want a reef aquarium and to have 0 ammonia ,nitrites,and nitrates after cycling you need to have.
1.At least one and a half to two lbs. of live rock and some type of mechanical filtration such as filter floss and also a media bag with carbon in it.
2.PWC of 15 percent every two weeks.
3.A Refugium if you want.I don't run one in my sump.
4.Protein skimmer.
Live rock has beneficial bacteria at all different levels through the rock.You can start off with mainly base rock and just a few lbs of live rock.The critters you receive on the live rock are mainly beneficial and the others can easily be taken care of.
It doesn't take long for the base rock to become live and start growing Coraline if you have the proper lighting and keep your calc and alk and mag levels right.
Below is a picture of my present tank when started with mainly base rock and one of it a couple months later.

This works for me with the least amount of maintenance.

Attachments

• image-906638830.jpg
    image-906638830.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 130
  • image-3217942803.jpg
    image-3217942803.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 129
Ricksreef said:
Below is a picture of my present tank when started with mainly base rock and one of it a couple months later.

..........i am obsessed with your tank....so legit

Ricksreef said:
Sorry,I can't resist joining in.
Bottom line,if you want a reef aquarium and to have 0 ammonia ,nitrites,and nitrates after cycling you need to have.
1.At least one and a half to two lbs. of live rock and some type of mechanical filtration such as filter floss and also a media bag with carbon in it.
2.PWC of 15 percent every two weeks.
3.A Refugium if you want.I don't run one in my sump.
4.Protein skimmer.
Live rock has beneficial bacteria at all different levels through the rock.You can start off with mainly base rock and just a few lbs of live rock.The critters you receive on the live rock are mainly beneficial and the others can easily be taken care of.
It doesn't take long for the base rock to become live and start growing Coraline if you have the proper lighting and keep your calc and alk and mag levels right.

Berlin Method

Almost a year later. No filter no sump. Only lots if sand live rock and a skimmer. All levels testing good consistently. Water changes are the same 15 gal once a month.

75g
Marineland reef led 2 at 18" 2 at 24"
AquaC remora skimmer
Hydor power heads 2 med 1 small
Spectrapure RO/DI filter

ForumRunner_20120829_110756.jpg

ForumRunner_20120829_110805.jpg

ForumRunner_20120829_110756.jpg

ForumRunner_20120829_110805.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120829_110740.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120829_110740.jpg