New to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayjay61388

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 30 gallon and would like to know how to get rid of all the brown in it. I put some crabs things in it. I also have a damsel that likes to hide in the corner. What does that mean?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442541153.108213.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No need to get worried, all new tanks get Diatom Blooms. The diatoms eat up all the silicates in the water, then will die out. No worries, it may take a few weeks, but they will go away by themselves.
The other crap growing is algae, which is coming from all your phosphates in the water. Need to get a Hanna Low Range tester for those, keep them between .05-.03, and then you will have no issues with the algae.

So all the brown stuff should leave my itself? I don't have any testing stuff yet so idk.

Ok I'll try to get the test thing today. Now I do have live rocks and what ever this thing is. Will that stuff grow on the rocks as well?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442587066.244222.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442587066.244222.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 155
The thing on the picture

What lights are on the tank?
Looks like aptasia or majanho .
Both pest IMO.
+1 with needing proper test equipment.

I'll have to take one later and it's a normal light one that come with the cover.

Looks like an Aiptasia. This thing you want out of the tank, you don't want them to multiply.
Many ways to kill them.
Bleach the rock
Peppermint Shrimp
Joes Juice
Lemon Juice
Laser
Copperband Butterfly
Matted Filefish
Nudibranch

Why do I want it out of my tank? It looks cool.

I have a red coris wrasse that makes short work out of Aiptasia I had 2 copper bands in the past but they don't last long they always starve before they find the pests
I thought they looked cool to till I was over whelmed with them I baked the rocks in the hot sun over a month I added them back in the tank with in a week they were back bigger than ever , trust me kill them off while they are small or they will haunt you till your gray , I also heard of the bigger ones swallowing fish ,

Last edited:
Yea you don't want those. I had a Peppermint shrimp who cleared dozens of them before he passed away. A few weeks later, and I am spotting now apista growing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So do I soak the hole thing in that stuff or just the part it's on?

Back
Top Bottom