New to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aquarium Arts has a nice large selection of corals and fish.

Address:

1810 W Baseline Rd
Mesa, AZ 85202

Cross Street:
Between S Dobson Rd and S Pennington Ave

I used to use the Fluval canisters, but got tired of cleaning them all the time. I bought a 125G wet/dry off Ebay and converted it into a sump instead. I took Lando's advice and ordered 30lbs. of lr rubble to replace the bio balls with. Awesome idea. The sump will also give you room for equipment like heaters, pumps, etc. to hide. In addition, it will add to your water volume as a whole for your bio load. If you do the sump, you can lose the canister. :)

Mike

I'm use to fresh water so I'm didn't know of that place. If you do have any freshwater tanks i highly recomend Phoenix Tropical Fish

Thanks. I haven't done a freshwater tank since 1993. Once I started salt years ago, I never went back. You will most likely do the same. Spectacular hobby!

Mike

I have a couple friends who have a 125 and 70 gal reef tank they are out of town right now so until they get back I am trying to learn as much as I can

I never thought they would be able to tear me away from my plants and my catfish but I got a great deal on a 46 gal bowfront and a reef tank would look great in it.

Wait until you start getting some marine plants. Just get plenty of LR for your tank for filtration. Generally, 1-2lbs per gallon. liverocks.com has some of the best I have seen, and lots of people on here would recommend it as well.

Mike

I'm probably going to go with a sump/refugium so that takes out the xp3 and the filter question. so all i will need is a protein skimmer, some power heads, lighting, and a heater as far as equipment go right?

Go with a good skimmer for the sump, Maxijet 1200 PH, MH or pc lighting, and 2 heaters in case one fails. You can also PM me if you need anymore ideas for your tank.

Mike

If anyone else has any comments, suggestions, or questions please feel free, your input would be greatly apprecaiated

Back
Top Bottom