New to saltwater help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lucy.b.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm new to fish keeping and learning so much, I was told I needed to stir so filter can get the fish waste, and if I didn't then I would have problems, confused now :-/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I'm new to fish keeping and learning so much, reading this post and finding interesting, I was told I needed to stir so filter can get the fish waste, and if I didn't then I would have problems, confused now :-/

First of all, for SW, there are different options for substrate, but sand is the most choice.

However, it is still a good idea to siphon up any fish waste during water changes, however stirring isn't the best idea unless you plan to do it constantly (which there isn't much reason to do.) You can add sand sifting starfish and crabs, as mentioned above, to aerate and sift the upper layer of the sand, but this isn't necessary.

In a reef tank, fish usually aren't the focus of the tank (or else it wouldn't be a reef.) Naturally, from the fish that there are, some waste will become trapped in the sand, which really isn't a bad thing if you don't release it by not stirring the sand bed. The toxic gases and anaerobic bacteria that build up from the fish waste can't hurt anything where it is, so it's best to leave it be.

Hopes this helps!

Hiya yes Thankyou this does help, are sifting crabs tropical as that's what I have
I was told to do it daily and thats normal and what I've been doing which u can imagine is rather annoying... So if a easier way to do that will be great

No problem! I'm not too familiar with sand sifting crabs, but I believe yes they are tropical, so fine for a reef tank.
And you can definitely stop stirring the sand, I don't see any problems for your tank in stopping.

Thankyou that's good, we are having so much trouble keeping the water right I'm now thinking this could be the cause

But will look into sifting crabs as don't like the poo on the sand hehe doesn't look moce

When u say fish poo ... Can u take a pic? I believe I have the same problem. But I have 3 turbo snails and 2 sand sifter snails .

I only have guppies and pleqs atm, I have just got it all put by swirling and getting poo out with net yesterday but I will take pic when it get to how it was again and post

Back
Top Bottom