New To Saltwater Looking for Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWerner13

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

I have never kept a saltwater tank, but I have experience with freshwater. I am entertaining the idea of turning my old 10 gallon tank into a salt water tank. I'll give a list of my current equipment and was wondering what else I would need. Also what would my options be with a tank so small? I am more interested in fish than reef but a combo would be neat. Just thinking about it so I would love everyone's comments.

I have not read up on Saltwater before so information on what else I would need to know would be great (I know thats a broad statement). I made to many rookie mistakes with freshwater and I have decided to do my homework on this one so any help would be great.

10 gallon tank with stand.
Topfin 10 HOB filter.
Heater for 15 gallon tank.
Airpump.
Misc. Rocks, Decorations, and Substrate

well first of all welcome to the salty side. Also i generally ideology held by most is the bigger the tank the better. It is possible to use a 10g but you are going to have to keep up with your maintenance and top ups to keep your water clean. Also there is really no need for an air pump with a SW set up. Not sure if by rocks you mean fake rocks, but you will need to buy Live Rock, usually 1.5 lbs per gallon but i guess it is preference. Also you will probably want to pick up some sand for your substrate, you can use crushed coral but it not prefered. Then you will have to address the lighting, if you are looking to add corals you will be looking at getting some decent lights, dependig on the coral a general rule of thumb would be 4watts per gallon, so in your case something that puts out about 40watts. You will also need something for water movement so you will eed to pick up a powerhead, nothing larger as you dont want to stir up your substrate so you can check out some of the nano style powerheads. thats all i could think of right now but i am sure other will add on to the list.

again welcome

matt

haha I knew it was more intense but wow! I think it might be better for me to wait a year or two till I have the time and money a salt water tank deserves. I'll stick with fresh water for now instead of giving up half way through or killing fish. lol thanks for the info though.

I hate to see someone not going SW but I really do agree with you that it`s better not to start if you cant see it all the way through. We will be here when you are ready.

Best to get a bigger tank, more money but it will be so much harder to keep up with anything smaller than a 55 g. SW is not as intimidating as it may seem, and much more of a rewarding result IMO. Once you understand it, its very do-able so to speak. I recommend getting and reading "Saltwater aquariums for dummys" I learned basically everything from that book!

If you want a good book, I recommend, "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Bob Fenner. He really knows a lot about getting started and the individual needs of each fish. I'm still a freshmen in High school so I was a bit surprised when I heard of the costs of these tanks. I had a 20 gal at the time, and now,with saving money and hard work, have a 65g tank that cost about $1800 in all. But it was worth it, and i'd do it again in a heartbeat. Stick with it!

O I will be a salty eventually I just simply don't have the commitment, money, or time to add that onto the already fairly pressing needs of 2 freshwater tanks! No worries though I haven't been turned off simply delayed.

Read some of the salt water artciles in this forum! with the size of tank you have i would say that its safe to play aorund with.
i.gif

haha I knew it was more intense but wow! I think it might be better for me to wait a year or two till I have the time and money a salt water tank deserves. I'll stick with fresh water for now instead of giving up half way through or killing fish. lol thanks for the info though.

Yeah...definitely wait until you can do it right. You'll be much happier, and so will your fish!

Back
Top Bottom