New to saltwater need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally got my hydor 1150 and wow does it push my water a lot better then any of my others. So nice but blows some sand around still letting it settle

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394850215.175939.jpg

What I have been told is when your ammonia and nitrites go to zero add another ammonia source and if that goes back to zero then do a water change and ur ready for fish but I don't think nitrate has to go all the way too 0!!

Lol was reading an earlier post and didn't change the page so I answered a question that was already answered sorry lol!!

Lol was reading an earlier post and didn't change the page so I answered a question that was already answered sorry lol!!

Haha it's all good more info for me and that what I'm gunna when my parameters hit zero. Throw a piece of raw shrimp in and see where it goes again

Also added 30pounds more of live sand so I have about and inch and half to two inches now at about 90 pounds and 95 pounds of live rock...so far

Haha it's all good more info for me and that what I'm gunna when my parameters hit zero. Throw a piece of raw shrimp in and see where it goes again

How did you cycle the tank to begin with? If you want to test your cycle, I would use pure ammonia. Dose it up to 1 ppm and if it's completely converted to nitrate in 24 hours you should be good. Throwing another shrimp in there will produce another ammonia spike and take longer

Ok cool I just gotta find some but with the shrimp I was thinking just leave it in for a day test and if it's around 1-2 ppm take it out then count 24 hrs from then would that work??

So I had alittle floodage this morning when I woke up. I decided to turn the system off over night to see what would happen just in case and my sump flooded. Also if anybody could tell me what a stringy white type algae looking stuff is?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395352443.847275.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395352524.009536.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395956721.272573.jpg

I think my cycle may be done. It's been 27 days to the exact time haha. About 6 days ago threw another shrimp in to see if it'd jump and go down and the ammonia went up no to much about 2 ppms then nitrites about 1 ppm now seem to be back down with just nitrates way up there.

Back
Top Bottom