New to saltwater started a 75 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddy salt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Filled my tank added fish next day been three weeks so far all is well
Have maroon clown
Small common clown
Anemone
One shrimp
One snail
Very excited and already want to upgrade to 125 gallon
Realize moving way to fast but just can't help it lol!

Last edited:
Did you cycle your aquarium? Kepp an eye on your Maroon Clown, as they can be pretty aggressive. And BTW, Welcome to AA!:welcome:

I have been testing water and nitrate it low as well as ammonia also testing calcium and phosphate levels. I used live sand and about 40 lbs of live rock. I have a fluvial 305,deltec mce 300 skimmer, 2-75 Gph powerheads as well as t-5 and led lighting

Maroon clown was the last fish to go in tank he seems shy.
Also forgot to mention my first fish I put in a green chronis. They all seem to get along fine.

Welcome!

When I see a post like this first thought that comes to mind is someone has been watching tv
I hope there was enough live bacteria on the rock to jump in and help keep the ammonia and nitrites down. You will need to be prepared to do water changes, btw how much light do you have for the anemone? Do you have a friend that can take your livestock until your tank is cycled?

Welcome!

When I see a post like this first thought that comes to mind is someone has been watching tv
I hope there was enough live bacteria on the rock to jump in and help keep the ammonia and nitrites down. You will need to be prepared to do water changes, btw how much light do you have for the anemone? Do you have a friend that can take your livestock until your tank is cycled?

What's with the tv comment? If you read my other comments u will find out what lights I have. I have been living and breathing salt water the last three weeks and have been learning more each day!

There is a show in the USA that is called Thanked they make a tank and add fish right away, a lot of people I have seen at the LFS get the idea that is the way it should be done.

joy13 said:
There is a show in the USA that is called Thanked they make a tank and add fish right away, a lot of people I have seen at the LFS get the idea that is the way it should be done.

I knew Tanked would cause someone to do this, I just knew it.

Maybe research before just jumping in to something with living creatures?

Seen as though that's obviously not an option now.. keep an eye on parameters and make sure you're not getting ammonia or nitrite spikes. Do water changes every week. You've already made things hard for yourself by not cycling your tank.

Maybe research before just jumping in to something with living creatures?

Seen as though that's obviously not an option now.. keep an eye on parameters and make sure you're not getting ammonia or nitrite spikes. Do water changes every week. You've already made things hard for yourself by not cycling your tank.

How much water should I be changing weekly?

I usually see an increase in about a week but I use all live rock from and tank that someone is taking down, I don't cycle with any live animals so your cycle will be different than mine.

I would be prepared to change at least 25% of the water. I always have enough on hand to do a 10% water change at least on my biggest tank.

Daddy salt said:
What's with the tv comment? If you read my other comments u will find out what lights I have. I have been living and breathing salt water the last three weeks and have been learning more each day!

When you lights, you said t-5 and led... Kinda vague. Speaking from someone who has lost 2 nems due to lighting, it really matters. I hate to say you may lose your nem when your tank cycles. They are very sensitive. What kind of test kit do you have and what all are you testing? Just a few answers we will need to try to get you through this. We are here to help.

When you lights, you said t-5 and led... Kinda vague. Speaking from someone who has lost 2 nems due to lighting, it really matters. I hate to say you may lose your nem when your tank cycles. They are very sensitive. What kind of test kit do you have and what all are you testing? Just a few answers we will need to try to get you through this. We are here to help.

Testing -nitrite (low)0.1mg/l=nutrafin test
-ammoniaAlert (safe <0.02 ppm)=seachem ammonia alert
-calcium 450ppm(adding coralline algae accelerator)=Hanna digital
-phosphate 0.36ppm using (rows phos to lower due to algae)=red sea pro

Lights are -coralife t-5 2 lamp white/blue
-reefbrite 50/50 led

Daddy salt said:
Testing -nitrite (low)0.1mg/l=nutrafin test
-ammoniaAlert (safe <0.02 ppm)=seachem ammonia alert
-calcium 450ppm(adding coralline algae accelerator)=Hanna digital
-phosphate 0.36ppm using (rows phos to lower due to algae)=red sea pro

Lights are -coralife t-5 2 lamp white/blue
-reefbrite 50/50 led

Your lights aren't enough. Only reason I say that is because I had a 4 bulb and still had issues. Also, what are your nitrates and pH as well as salinity? Also alkalinity... Do you have a QT tank?

Back
Top Bottom