New to saltwater tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdl25

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Need help getting started.
Wanna know what basics im gonna need to get a saltwater tank up and going

Read the sticky at the top of the forum "stock list and tips for maintaining a sw aquarium"

I dont have the stickies thing on my phone

What you want to keep animal-wise pretty much dictates the answer to your question. Have you figured that out yet?

What you want to keep animal-wise pretty much dictates the answer to your question. Have you figured that out yet?

Eh, not really. There are many things that every tank needs, no matter what your stocking is. Stocking will influence your tank size but that's not a basic concept or element to saltwater tank. Things like Cylcing, Rock, Nutrient Export, and trace elements are basics.

Eh, not really. There are many things that every tank needs, no matter what your stocking is. Stocking will influence your tank size but that's not a basic concept or element to saltwater tank. Things like Cylcing, Rock, Nutrient Export, and trace elements are basics.

I agree insofar as cycling and nutrient export is concerned, but what I need to keep a yasha goby in a FOWLR is going to be different from keeping a naso tang in a reef.

I agree insofar as cycling and nutrient export is concerned, but what I need to keep a yasha goby in a FOWLR is going to be different from keeping a naso tang in a reef.

I'm sorry I don't see what you are saying? Stocking and fish requirements aren't really saltwater basics. Those all come after you cycle, after you find a nutrient export system, after you get your rock, and so on an so forth. Every tank has to have those things. Once you learn the basics, you can move onto deciding specifics for your tank like FOWLR or Reef or SO tank.

I mean like what brand of sand, live rock, what type of filter should i get ? What brands work the best since im new to saltwater im gonna start out with something small like a 55 or 60 gallon tank till i get accustomed to it

I mean like what brand of sand, live rock, what type of filter should i get ? What brands work the best since im new to saltwater im gonna start out with something small like a 55 or 60 gallon tank till i get accustomed to it

Those aren't small tanks per say lol. Those are good starter size tanks. Since this is your first sw you probably will not be running a sump. I'd go with at least one aqua clear 110 hob filter. A hob protein skimmer rated for at least 100 gallons. Reef octopus an eshopps make nice ones. You will need powerheads. Koralia work nicely. You want about 20 x tank turnover per hour. Your lfs Should have live rock, but you can use mainly base rock from bulkreefsupply or such. You'll need 55-75 lbs. Sand should be aragonite based. A refractometer to measure salinity. Instant ocean is a good cheap salt mix. Idk if I'm forgetting anythig

I would do a 55 with a 20 gallon sump, protien skimmer, ( I have a reef octopus nw110 skimmer) good return pump (mag7 or rio 2500 are good)40 lbs live sand, 60 lbs live rock, a good test kit (red sea, sea chem ) descent led lights

dino

Could i use a canister filter? Or should i just stick to the aqua clear 110

Skimming, skimming, skimming. Successful tanks can be kept without the use of a protein skimmer (foam fractionator), although for the beginning aquarist I highly advise the use of a good quality skimmer. Skimmers work by forcing air and water to mix causing the organics in the water to stick together. This creates foam which is then pushed out of the skimmer and removed from the system.

Other forms of filtration do work as well. Hang on filters work fine for small tanks if water changes are done on a regular basis. The use of activated carbon is highly suggested as well as it works to remove organics much like a skimmer.

Undergravel and canister filters are not suggested for use. They are a risk to the animals in the tanks due to the fact that anaerobic pockets can develop and release highly acidified water to the system (not to mention stink A LOT!). This is especially an issue when the power goes out for a couple of hours. They also reduce the efficiency of the sandbed to reduce nitrate to nitrogen gas to be released into the atmosphere. Biomedia (bioballs, filter floss, etc) is also generally not used any more. These will cause a great deal of aerobic degredation of ammonia to nitrate, but the nitrate is the end product which causes it to build up in the system to levels that can cause stress to corals.

A good deep sand bed combined with a good quantity of live rock and good circulation provides a great deal of filtration, especially in combination with a good skimmer

dino

* could i use the aqua clear 110 and a protein skimmer as well ?

Back
Top Bottom