New to saltwater, what set up would best house a manderin in a 30gl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. D

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would really like to keep a manderin in my 30gl tank.. I would most likely stock around this fish so it does well.. I was thinking 1-2clowns, a goby, and maybe something else small

For filtration I was thinking a HOB skimmer and a HOB refugium..... Tank will eventually turn into reef as well.

I will also be putting in like rock and live sand plus smart start to add to the bacteria.

How long has your setup been running? Do you have an abundance of pods?

Even if you get an ORA mandarin there is now guarantee that it will 100% for sure eat prepared food. I have two dragonets and both took about a month each to be weaned off of pods. You could get a one in a million chance that it will eat prepared foods right off the bat and stay that way.

Here's another informative thread about mandarins

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f28/mandarins-are-they-really-a-difficult-fish-123776.html

Okay, thanks... I haven't set it up yet b/c I have been slowly transferring my discus from that tank to a 55.

I've been doing some research and wanted to get some people opinions who know the fish b/c I really wanna get this right and don't wanna make the fish suffer

I'd say wait a few months and see how your tank does. Just make sure you have enough live rock for the pods. :)

Also make sire u buy a captive breed mandarin. They are better off but cost more

Back
Top Bottom