New to SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, I have experience in FW tanks with live plants and all the goodies. My LFS is closing down and the manager is going to sell me a 100g tank with stand and sump for around $150. I don't think I'm going to find another deal like it, so I went ahead and bought it.

I don't want any fancy, expensive SW fish. Nothing too big either. Is there such thing as a "community" tank like you see if FW aquariums? When I do read about SW tanks, a lot of people have pairs of fish and then good clean up crews. What are some good, hardy fish to start out with?

I just have no idea if the stocking is anything like FW at all. I have no idea what fish are compatible and which SW you should stay away from unless you have a good amount of experience. Basically, what are the tetras of SW and what are the Discus of SW?

Do you have everything else already? Like a skimmer, powerheads, baffles in the sump, drilled tank? Do you know how to cycle a SW tank? Do you have a refractometer? Live rock, sand?

To answer your other question clowns are generally one of the hardiest beginner fish for a SW tank. Most damsels are actually but they can all be mean so I wouldn't get damsels unless you really like them. Blennies, cardinals, some of the wrasses, not flashers or fairies, um it's really hard because the fish stocking is a lot different than fw and most SW fish are pretty territorially aggressive. That being said it's fairly easy to stock correctly you just have to add fish in the right order. My suggestion is to go to liveaquaria and look at some of their SW fish and pick out some you like. Then come back here with a list and we can help narrow it down better. I'm assuming you want a fowlr system as well no coral?

The tank is up and running now at the store. Once she sells the stock in it, she's going to break it down. It has all the equipment she's running it with right now. I'm aware of how to cycle a sw tank.

I love the look of coral though. This is where sw just tears me apart because I think like most people you want it all in one tank

As it's an ex shop tank is it a fish only system and has it ever been copper treated ?

Because if it's had copper treatment that's a headache there if you want to keep corals and CUC unless you thoroughly deep clean it but even then it can get into the silicone ect

Are you getting lights too? Is there coral currently in the tank? Marty makes a good point about the copper too

I'm not sure. It looked pretty bare. Just a few smaller fish and some rocks in there. I didn't look too terribly hard at the tank when I went it

You need to find out if it's had copper in it hopefully they will answer honestly as it's an LFS and by sounds of it just a fish display I'll be very surprised if that system has not had copper in at some point

By all means if you are wanting fish only it will be absolutely fine if it's had copper in but if you want corals of any type then it would cause you issues.

Especially if it comes with all the live rock ect as that will be full of copper and can't go anywhere near a coral.

Well I'll have to just settle for fish only then. It won't break my heart. I also thought about moving all my FW fish to the 100 gallon and doing a SW set up in my 48 bowfront that is FW right now.

Back
Top Bottom