New to SW, few start up questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelseytingler

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today I set up a 55 gallon saltwater. This is my first saltwater tank, and there are white streaks along the glass on all four sides on the inside of the tank, what are these and how to get rid of? Also there is a build up for what looks like salt around the top perimeter, what to do for this? Can live rock be added immediatley now? I used bio-spera start up per LFS advice. If salt reading is too high, can I just remove some of the water and add regular dechlorinated water without salt to lower it? Thanks for any help.

Seems odd to have a salt ring! Did you mix the water before putting it in the tank? Yes you can add the rock! And ya just remove water from tank and dilute with rodi!
Good luck and welcome !

What are you using for filtration/flow? Did you mix the salt water in the tank or pre mixed it beforehand? If you are planning a reef tank you shouldn't use tap water, it will only lead to algae problems - I highly recommend using ro-di for reef tanks ;)

Well it already has tap water with salt in it. The salt was pre mixed. My LFS said nothing about ro/di being important for the reef we are planning. Here are photos of the marks on the walls. I cleaned them with a Brillo pad.

I honestly don't know I just know we want corals and an anemone later on down the road. However I'm a little upset my LFS said nothing about RODI when they do have it for sale... If it was necessary I feel they would have told me to buy it. I used $30 of bright well salt and that's all wasted now?

I would just use rodi from now on! The tap water will be diluted over time!

I had same thing. You used buckets. They are water level rings

Not sure but the same thing happened to me. I think it is calcium participation. I also used tap water to cycle my tank. Tap water is okay but only to cycle after the cycle be ready for a top off tank and keeping it filled with ro di only or you will surely have problems. You should be able to buy a algae scraper at any lfs it has a metal end and if your tank is glass should work good for scraping that white stuff off. Or a razor blade but only if it's a glass tank. That how I got it off my tank glass.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom