New to SW: Help me set it up, please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FMJnaX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been a member here for quite a while (though inactive). I've always had FW tanks, though. I tore down my planted 75g and it has sat dormant in the garage for over 2 years. I've decided I want to get a SW tank running now. I've done my research and I BELIEVE I know what I need equipment wise, but I don't know specifics. Let me give some details of what I have:

75 gallon (standard) glass aquarium
29 gallon (standard) glass aquarium
20L gallon (long/breeder) glass aquarium

Hehehehe, that's it. Everything else is going to be fresh, from the ground up.

- I know I want a sump (which spare tank should I use? I'm guessing the 29 is the obvious choice).
- I know I need a skimmer (recomendations?)
- I know I need 2 MH lights (200/250W or 400W?)
- I know I need a SW test kit
- Do I need any PH's for water circulation?
- How do I set up my sump, especially since my tank isn't "reef ready"?
- What else do I need to know to get started?

Any advice on ANYTHING is greatly appreciated. Budget is a slight factor, but I don't want to go super cheap or super expensive. Just average setup.

Thanks in advance!

Ok welcome back first. :)
You don't 'need' a sump. That's something I think it's important for people to know. It is good to have one though. :) Everything else sounds good. As for test kits get a test kit for:
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Phosphate
Calcium
Ph

Go with a Reef Octopus skimmer. I would use the 29g for the sump. You don't need halides on a 75g, T5 HO will be fine, I would go with either the Current USA Nova Extreme Pro 48" 6x54w or 8x54w T5 HO fixture. The 8x54w fixture also has lunar lights. Try Hydor Koralia power heads, aim for 20x-30x tank volume turnover per hour. Go with with an API Saltwater Master Test Kit. I would just use HOB overflows to get water to the sump.

Thanks Thom! Those lights look very familiar to what I used to look at for my planted freshwater. I decided to go DIY, though. Is there a WPG rule of thumb that you shoot for with SW (I think we will do FOWLR; at least starting out)? I'm pretty sure I'm going to DIY the lighting if I'm not going to hang MH's. At 324W, do I want that all in white light or split with actinic?

Thanks again!

WPG is pretty much a dead "rule" in SW. Factors such as PAR, penetration, and type of bulb (T5, MH, etc...) are more important. I would start half and half with 3 10k bulbs and 3 actinic bulbs, and change it up a bit when you need to change bulbs until you find a combo you like. For FOWLR, any old light will work, even the stock hoods that come with the tank will work.

Here is an article that covers lighting: Aquarium Lighting; Kelvin, Nanometers, PAR, Bulb, Watt, MH, LED, light basics.

Alright, I think I'm getting close!

- Going to run a DIY setup of 3 10k F54T5 and 3 actinic
- Going to build a DIY PVC overflow using 1 1/4" (should handle 600GPH easily)
- Going to go with 2 Hydor Koralia PH's to give me about 2000GPH
- I have a good idea on the skimmer, but just need to itemize which one to go with
- 29g gallon sump

My open questions (which are pretty minor) as of right now are:

- When picking out a pump, do I find a submersible or an external? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought external was a "closed loop" setup, so how would that work sitting in a sump? Hmmm.
- I'm looking for a pump in the 600-750GPH range (a 9-10x turnover rate). Is that a decent range, something like a Mag 7?
- How should I set up my sump for filtering?
- Am I OK running rigid PVC plumbing from overflow to sump and then from sump back up to tank?
- Based on above, I'm thinking of ending my return with a spraybar type setup. Any concerns with that?

Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom