New to Sw, help please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobishu

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've never had a sw tank before, and I was planning on get a 75g and giving it a go, I would like to do fish and reef. Where do I begin? What all do I need? And what do I need to know? Thanks.

Hello. Look into incorporating live rocks and skimmer into your tank. Then think about using a sump/refugium with drilled holes or overflow. Stay away from doing a reef tank for several months until you are comfortable with a saltwater system.

Then figure out how you will premix all of your saltwater and what equipment you need to do it.

Happy researching!

Thanks. But now I'm a bit more confused, you just used a bunch of words I'm unfamiliar with :p

There are alot of videos on YouTube. I have a thread called " planning a reef tank ?'s ". Because I planning to get a 55 gal reef tank one day. It's probably got alot of good info because I've asked tons of questions. Research research and more research!

There is also a commonly used abbreviations list for the forum. What are you not familiar with, as most of the language used is quite common in saltwater setups. If you let us know we can help you out.

Hi u doing bro welcome to the fun exciting boring most awesome added thing u can put in your house. Lol starting off well u will want to get to know what kind of filtration system u want there's a lot u wanna chose from. As said above u can have a sump or refugium to different kind of filtration bot work good if u plan on having fish and coral and all don't waste your time with a hang on the back filters u get at the pet store they work alright but will end up making u worry a lot. U can make ur own sump/ refugium like I did and cost u a lot less then buying one already made if u look around on Craigslist around ur area someone may have one for sale for cheap. ( I have a 130 gallon tank with a 45gal refugium works great) u can use a little smaller cause of the size of your tank I think 25 to 30gal would be good for u. Next u wanna see the lights u need to get if u want reef u will want a least t5s lights so look into them. But i can help u better if I know what kind of coral u wanna have ( sps, lps, mushroom, etc) then u will need to also get a chiller unless u chose to get LEDs for your lights. LEDs if u chose to spend the money on them will grow u all the different corals u want. I have done all my research on LEDs. I can tell u the best LEDs to get we're to get them and for about the cheapest price. After u have your lights and sump/ refugium then u can start with the things u wanna do to your tank. I will stop here until. I know you understand and u have gotten what u have need from everything I told u before I keep going. It may seem like a lot but it isnt really if u look around and learn the best at the start any more questions for me please ask me I will be on all day even if it shows I'm off. And please give me the specs on your tank so me and other people can give u more info on what will help u and what u should stay away from

Above is to long to read for my tastes. Any questions you have there is a sticky in the getting started area of the forums that has a ton of information for beginners. Any other questions feel free to ask and don't forget to research.

Well the above sums up what he needs to look for u can look for anything if u don't know what to look for

Squantobeatinu said:
Hi u doing bro welcome to the fun exciting boring most awesome added thing u can put in your house. Lol starting off well u will want to get to know what kind of filtration system u want there's a lot u wanna chose from. As said above u can have a sump or refugium to different kind of filtration bot work good if u plan on having fish and coral and all don't waste your time with a hang on the back filters u get at the pet store they work alright but will end up making u worry a lot. U can make ur own sump/ refugium like I did and cost u a lot less then buying one already made if u look around on Craigslist around ur area someone may have one for sale for cheap. ( I have a 130 gallon tank with a 45gal refugium works great) u can use a little smaller cause of the size of your tank I think 25 to 30gal would be good for u. Next u wanna see the lights u need to get if u want reef u will want a least t5s lights so look into them. But i can help u better if I know what kind of coral u wanna have ( sps, lps, mushroom, etc) then u will need to also get a chiller unless u chose to get LEDs for your lights. LEDs if u chose to spend the money on them will grow u all the different corals u want. I have done all my research on LEDs. I can tell u the best LEDs to get we're to get them and for about the cheapest price. After u have your lights and sump/ refugium then u can start with the things u wanna do to your tank. I will stop here until. I know you understand and u have gotten what u have need from everything I told u before I keep going. It may seem like a lot but it isnt really if u look around and learn the best at the start any more questions for me please ask me I will be on all day even if it shows I'm off. And please give me the specs on your tank so me and other people can give u more info on what will help u and what u should stay away from

Thank you!

Also I was going to go with LEDs, so then would I need a heater instead of a chiller? Avg temp in my home is 65f.

Back
Top Bottom