new to SW, nano first?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I picked up a 10" rimless cube today, and i'd like to do my first nano reef. But I've never done a SW tank before, and I know, I know, bigger is usually better. But I've been successful with freshwater discus, and I've heard the discus can be harder than some SW tanks. If you think this is a horrid idea, please let me know and I'll probably do another nano planted FW tank, if not, and ideas for a stocking list would be great :)

Those would be cool. I'm waiting till my next tax return and plan on doing a Fluval Edge with dwarf's. Start learning how to hatch BBS's. And from what I've learned so far, no LR in the tank with Dwarf's. When we get the funds I'll start a thread. Good luck with yours. Maybe start now so I can get some tips?

And by the way, I have a 40 gal that I would like to convert to Discus. I know, everyone said a 50 minimum but do you think I could try 4 in that 40?

Nanos aren't necessarily harder. in some aspects they are easier than larger tank; easier to clean, PWC are a breeze bc ur only changing a couple of gallons. However, stocking choices are, as u probably know, are more limited. Basically u just have make sure u keep up on ur maintenance.

I have everything from a 4g tank up to a 125g and I find I spend more time on the smaller tanks. :)

They have less water volume so everything has to be perfect. And if something goes wrong then it's a big issue. The startup costs are actually less but again you are limited in the fish department.

if you wanted to dabble in sw in my opinion I would start with a 29g biocube or nano cube. Lights, filter tank all included. You can keep basic corals and a good selection of fish.

I know in extremely limited. I was thinking two pairs of dwarf seahorses, or a clown goby and sexy shrimp.

I would do a larger tank first if it was me. Larger water volumes are more forgiving when mistakes or water parameters changes happen. I say do a bigger tank and then go to the nano. JMO

I've read that the dwarf seahorses are among the easier species to keep. And they're pretty cheap as well. I think I'll try them out. Also it's just shy of 5 gal

Last edited:
ok, so here's my plan:

purple brush gorgonian x2
dead rock
assorted <1" hermits
bumble bee shrimp goby
4 pairs of dwarf seahorses
zoa frags
sexy shrimp x3

Back
Top Bottom