new.. with questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncscuba

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all been lurking around for a while and researching.
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/tags.php?tag=
I will be setting up my first saltwater tank this weekend and wanted to ask some questions and get some opinions.

I will be going with a 45G FOWLR tank. I will have 45lbs of semi cured live rock and about 40 some odd pounds of CaribSea Arag-Alive Natural Reef Aquarium Gravel. Plan on having an aqua clear 70 and a Hydor Koralia 425 circulation pump. And of course the heater.

I may want to add an anemone later on.

Now the questions:

What would be the best way to position the circulation pump (I know it should have flow going over the LR) with HOB power filter?

What would be the way to cycle the tank with the semi cured LR? Should I use any of those tank conditioners from the petcosmarts to speed up the cycling?

I am sure I will have more questions later but will stop here. Also any advice is appreciated.

While you are cycling the tank, you can fiddle around with the powerhead until the flow is how you like it.
To cycle the tank, the rock being semi-cured just sounds like uncured to me. It either has beneficial bacteria in it or not. Unless you get cured rock and keep it submerged/heated, it is basically uncured. Just toss a cocktail shrimp into the tank in some pantyhose to get the process started.
As for additives, you don't need any additives for your tank. Totally unnecessary. Everything you'll need will come from your salt mix.
Since you want an anemone, you will need intense lighting to keep one. One taotronic LED, which you can find on ebay and amazon, will do just fine over a 40g tank for such a purpose. The best bang for your buck I've ever seen.

While you are cycling the tank, you can fiddle around with the powerhead until the flow is how you like it.
To cycle the tank, the rock being semi-cured just sounds like uncured to me. It either has beneficial bacteria in it or not. Unless you get cured rock and keep it submerged/heated, it is basically uncured. Just toss a cocktail shrimp into the tank in some pantyhose to get the process started.
As for additives, you don't need any additives for your tank. Totally unnecessary. Everything you'll need will come from your salt mix.
Since you want an anemone, you will need intense lighting to keep one. One taotronic LED, which you can find on ebay and amazon, will do just fine over a 40g tank for such a purpose. The best bang for your buck I've ever seen.

I agree.I have moved my power heads around so many times since i set my 40 g breeder up.You want optimal water movement that will oxygenate the waste,have as little to no dead spots as possible and will help to keep debris and fish waste where it can be easily removed from the tank.If you do not want to use the shrimp method which I hear is very effective you can add an ammonia that is reef safe or "feed" the tank like you would if you had fish.
I use Dr Timm's Ammonium Chloride.Whatever method you decide to use, remember to test your Ammonia,Nitrite, and Nitrate often.Your Cycled when your ammonia and Nitrite tests are zero within 24 hrs. Good luck!

1 425 probably isn't going to be enough flow in a 40 breeder, I'd get at least 2 (600s would probably be better)

1 425 probably isn't going to be enough flow in a 40 breeder, I'd get at least 2 (600s would probably be better)
I have two 850 Koralias on my 40g breder.Sorry, forgot to mention that.I had them on my 45 g tall and they worked well on it.I agree, two would be better for optimal flow.

Thanks for the info. Once I get set up I will probably get another powerhead.

Thanks for the tip. Do I leave the shrimp in the tank throughout the entire cycling process?

Thanks for the tip. Do I leave the shrimp in the tank throughout the entire cycling process?
Yes, it will be the only source of ammonia(food) for your bacteria to grow on
Edit: If you ever decide to add fish during the cycle, the yes, remove it.

Yes, it will be the only source of ammonia(food) for your bacteria to grow on
Edit: If you ever decide to add fish during the cycle, the yes, remove it.

The shrimp rotting will be your ammonia source as stated above. You will keep it in there until you see your ammonia and nitrite levels go up, and then down and test for 0. You will do a large water change to bring your nitrates down to 0 and remove the shrimp when you are ready to add a fish upon completion of the cycle.
Using a fish is considered a fish in cycle and I wouldn't recommend it. The 'hardy' fish they use are aggressive bullies and is pretty inhumane to throw a fish into water to build up a bacteria base to make the water non-toxic...making it breathe the poisonous ammonia and nitrite isn't cool, it burns gills. That and removing the usual damsel is a pain as well.

Thanks. I threw a shrimp as recommended. Now I'm just playing a waiting game.

I am thinking about adding a Koralia 750 circulation pump. Basically I would have two circulation pump with the 425 on one side of the tank aimed more towards the top. The 750 would be on the opposite side more towards the bottom. Is this too much circulation?

Back
Top Bottom