Newb to SW aquarium world :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jon6803

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

I'm Jon and new to the SW aquarium world! I'm enjoying reading as much material I can get my hands on!

I bought my Kent Bio Reef 94L on Thursday and began to cycle it straight away. I've got 9kg of live rock and 10kg of live sand in the tank and today there has been a diatom bloom. I understand this Is normal for a cycling tank but my question to you is, is this healthy happening at such any early stage of the cycle (less than one week)? The water parameters are as expected

SG 1.025
Ph 8.5
Ammonia 0.50ppm
KH 240ppm
GH 180ppm
Nitrate 20ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Water temp is 27c

Thanks for looking :)

It was pre mix from the shop with RO/DI water and Red Sea live sand for substrate

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393276125.856448.jpg

I'm 99% sure It is diatoms, I'm just surprised to see them this early, I was expecting them at around the 4 week mark!

Thanks!

Yep that's a diatom bloom, looks like it's just starting. They use the silicates in the sand you added and will go away on their own

Do you have any flow? Live rock can speed things along

Ah ok thanks! Just so long as it's not abnormal too see them this early!

Yep I have 9kg of live rock in the tank and a wave maker pump that circulates at 2000 L per hour

If you used all live rock, not base/dry rock, it is possible to see diatoms this early. The nitrates at 20ppm indicate the cycle is well under way already. Using all live rock can definitely speed up the cycle, depending on how "live" and cured it is :)

I was assured the rock was cured so glad to see everything is going as it should thanks for all your quick replies and assistance!

Jon

Back
Top Bottom