Newbi lr question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iamfor3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi
Im setting up tank tomorrow(sat)(75 gal). I have 60lbs lr coming monday because their taking tank down. What should I do with lr keep it aside until I cycle tank or put it in?

You can add it to the tank. Please do not cycle with live animals. The LR should help you tank cycle. Do you have a test kit?

Chances are the rock is already cured/cycled and full of good bacteria if it's coming straight from a tank that's setup and running. If not ready to put it in a tank, you can put it in plastic tubs with a powerhead going on it. Will need to drop some food in there maybe a couple of times a week to feed that bacteria too.

If you are going to add it to a new tank, you may get an instant cycle from it and be able to add a small fish or two right away.

In either case, still keep an eye on the ammonia.

What's the plan for more rock? Substrate?

Cool thanks guys
Im going to add the LR to the tank. Yes I have a test kit.
Not looking to add fish right away want to make sure everything is right first.
when it cycles what would be a good cleanup crew?
Is 15lbs base rock and 60lbs LR good enough?
one more thing how long should i run the lights?

Exactly what is the origin of the 60 lbs of rock? May not get a cycle at all from it. Check the ammonia in 2 days after youy get it and see what's happenning. If none, it won't cycle your tank.

I'd leave the lights off for now. And add a power head or two.

Its comming out of a friends tank. I have 2 maxi jet 1200 in a 46gal should I put more?

Tank up and running w/water circulation/powerheads etc? If so, it won't cycle your tank.

2 MJ1200 phs are fine in a 46 IMO.

when it cycles what would be a good cleanup crew?
For a newer tank, try about 15 nassiarius/cerith snails possibly turbos also. maybe a few hermits (make sure you have larger shells for them to grow into...the hermits, that is).
Is 15lbs base rock and 60lbs LR good enough?
That sounds like some good numbers.
one more thing how long should i run the lights?
As austinsdad said, you can leave them off. I ran mine when I cycled my tank.
yes, should I not put it in?
Sure, you can put it in if you don't see an ammonia spike, you might have to go the raw cocktail shrimp method.

If your buddy will hold it for you, that would be best, but you can add the base rock now, for sure, if they won't hold it for you, go ahead and put it all in. You might have some die-off, but it will grow back.

I have to pick it up to day. If I put it in and do small water changes to keep it from spiking to high would that help? I dont care if it would take longer for the cycle I would rather have a longer cycle then dead rock.
sorry for all the question.
thanks
GO STEELERS

GO STEELERS
YEAH!!!
In that case, since you are a Steelers fan, I'll give you the GOOD advice! LOL! Just kidding.
You have two options.
1. Put the LR in a bucket with a heater and ph and feed every few days, to keep the bacteria alive.
2. Add it to your main and let it roll.

1. Put the LR in a bucket with a heater and ph and feed every few days

Now that reminds me of when there was a "Pet Rock" craze in this country and people even bought pet rock food.. LOL

What do I feed it and do I use a light on them? yes I put them in a tote
I will let tank cycle with shrimp put rock in after cycle then the cleanup crew?
am I on the right track now?

Thanks for all your help

ps. my kid wants to know the dogs name is?

Back
Top Bottom