Newbie 20 gal suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dooker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, Im new to this forum and read articles for hours and hours the last few days. I am new to saltwater tanks but have had FW tanks for 20 years and curently have 4 FW tanks ranging from 55 to 180 gallons. So to cut to the chase I have former 20 gal quarantine tank that I set up with a UGF, Hagen 201 power head, an Aqua clear 200 HOB, Ebo 100w heater, 15 lbs of crushed coral and 20 lbs of live rock. The tank is cycled. Will I be successful with this setup using proper maintance? I would like to add 3 fish eventually my choices are a lawnmowe blenny, watchman gobie and a pistol shrimp, purple firefish and an oc. clown. I plan on just having 3 maybe I can support all 4? I dont plan on adding the fish all at once. Will I be able to get away without a protien skimmer. Thanks for all the advise!

That set-up should be fine as long as you don't want to get into a reef set up and you keep up the maintenance and water changes. Sounds well thought out and the planned inhabitants will have low bioloads. You may want to consider some snails to help with waste control. HTH

Yea this helps alot. I was considering some turbo snails after some algae formed on the glass. If this all works well I may convert one of my two 75 gal to sw as well.

I would advise a protein skimmer, if you're going to try three, or especially if you're going to try all four. Other than that, the setup looks really nice.

Add them one at a time, and I would advise starting with the clown(but that's only because I like them the best).

A 20 gal is a small tank, and while you might not need the skimmer the first month or two, you might want to get one on ASAP.

I'm suprised that no one mentioned removing the UGF.
I have a 20 gal sw tank with a bunch of live rock (easily 30 lbs), some hermits, snails, rock crab, some grass shrimp and one false perc. (had two... but bob has disappeared :( )
I have it running with 2 powerheads and a CPR backpak skimmer.

Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom