Newbie from Hawaii.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brutis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well, not really from Hawaii but recently just moved here. I am about to start a SW tank and have quite a few questions(not all at once though).

First off, I have a 55 gallon tank that I would very much like to turn into a SW tank. Obviously I have great access to ocean water and live sand but should I use it?

The filter I'm thinking of using is this: http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=EH2126830

Is this overkill for my size of aquarium and should I even be using a canister filter? I like the fact that it regulates water temp and would mean 1 less thing to buy. :D

No live rock or reef set ups as it appears that it is illegal here in Hawaii to sell or purchase it.

What type of lighting should I be using? I imagine I will be getting some sand sifters in addition to the fish. But with no coral, is the lighting that important?

Thanks for help.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
I have great access to ocean water and live sand but should I use it?
No. As easy as it would be, sand from the ocean as well as water does contain pollutents and impurities that you do not want in your home tank.
That will be okay for supplimental filtration. I recommend using LR as your primary filtration source. 1-2lbs/gal.
Is this overkill for my size of aquarium and should I even be using a canister filter?
As mentioned, LR, LS a good skimmer and some powerheads for movement is really all the filtration you need. Canisters work well for providing a place for mechanical and chemical filtration. They do need to be cleaned on ver regular basis to keep NO3 from climbing.
No live rock or reef set ups as it appears that it is illegal here in Hawaii to sell or purchase it.
I would imagine the harvesting of livestock or LR is strickly prohibbitied. The fact that you can not even purchased aquacultured LR is news to me.
What type of lighting should I be using? I imagine I will be getting some sand sifters in addition to the fish. But with no coral, is the lighting that important?
NO flour. will do just fine if you have no corals or other light-dependant inverts.

Hi and welcome to AA!

I agree with Lando's advice.
NO flour. will do just fine if you have no corals or other light-dependant inverts.
Just want to say that "NO Flour." Normal Output Flourescent. ;) Kinda confused me for a second.

Also, about the liverock, who told you that you cannot even buy it? Harvesting and taking from the water is strictly prohibited pretty much everywhere in the world except to people who have licenses to do it. You should be able to find a source of liverock or aquacultured rock in Hawaii, or may have to have it shipped in.

HTH

WELCOME TO AA!!!

All sound advice. It looks like that filter has a built in cooler? Is that correct. If that is the case, it might be good for warmer climates or places that don't have AC. I have a canister filter, but use it mainly for a little water movement and Carbon.

Also, please don't cycle with live animals.

I can purchase water for my tank prefiltered from the aquarium but I have to pay a monthly membership fee. It is quite expensive so I don't know about that.

Can you buy and pre mix the salt your self. It will be waaaay cheaper in the long run. Something like this:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4856&N=2004+113009

How regularly? Once a month or once a week? Bi-weekly? I guess this all depends on the live rock situation. If I can get live rock legally, I'll go that route.

This would depend on your bio load. I did mine once a month, but I have a small bio load.

Well, it looks as though if I want live rock I'm either going to have to join the aquarium or go about it through "other methods."

If I can't get my hands on some LR, is there a substitute that I might be able to use?

How about dry reef rock or "Reef Bones?"

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/skus/rs/RSCS-00360.asp?E+scstore

It will eventually become live as the bacteria starts to populate during your cycle.

Won't get any of the fun hitchikers though, like feather dusters, etc. But then again, you won't get any of the potential problem hitchers either e.g. Mantis Shrimp.

I don't know if the nice looking coralline algae will start growing though with out seeding from another piece of life rock.

I can get my hands on reef bone, will this be an adequate replacement or will I need another source of filtration to compliment it?

The filtration comes when the bacteria starts growing. The more surcafe area, the more bacteria can grow.

Back
Top Bottom